1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

please help me out!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by xinkedup, Mar 11, 2008.

1. xinkedup

xinkedup Guest

ok so i am recording my first big project on a local hardcore band that just got signed which i gonna be mastered by paul minor, we tracked all the drums and guitars and everything sounded great but for some reason when both guitars and all the drums play at once it sounds like a helicopter propeller is in the mix, now when i turn the bass drum down it kinda of goes away can anyone help me here?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Try it with no compression on the kick drum. Whatever you do, don't compress the mix - the ME will do whatever is necessary there.

3. xinkedup

xinkedup Guest

alright thanks, i ran a little compression on the guitar but thats it, i only used a limiter on the kick to make sure it wouldnt clip but ill try removing the limiter and see what happens

4. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

"it sounds like a helicopter propeller is in the mix"
    Well, record a real propeller, invert the phase and add it into the mix.
    [edit: Ignore this. It's a joke]

You might want to check your bottom end a bit, if your guitars/kick etc. overlap it can cause bass spikes that make the bass seem stronger.

5. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

HAHA!!

6. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

Was everything tracked live in the same room? There may be some phasing issues with certain frequencies.

7. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Any chance your mix is peaking pretty heavily?

It sounds like it might be pumping rapidly - a side effect of poor or excessive limiting.

8. xinkedup

xinkedup Guest

ya i took the compression/limiters off the tracks and the problem went away im only in my 5th month of recording school and this is my first full recording so thanks for all the help

9. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Another note - make sure you leave headroom. Don't let your mix bus clip even once.

This requires proper gain on all channels, maybe some fader riding and a tiny bit of judiciously used compression on individual channels or buses.

Cheers
    J

10. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Make sure also that your comps / limiters do not have auto gain compensation selected, if they're so equipped.