1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

please help!!!Newbie gear setup

Discussion in 'Recording' started by rickhtx, Oct 1, 2010.

1. rickhtx

rickhtx Guest

OK I have a M-audio Delta 1010lt pci soundcard {8x8 unbalanced analog Ins/Outs,2 mic preamps or line inputs},Art Tube Mp project series/48v phantom power as my mic preamp,AKG perception 220 Condenser Mic.My question is, How do I set this up with least amount of hum noise, or any type of noise that will come from the mic input on my delta soundcard,which has a built in preamp,and the artube preamp? Because from my understanding is that if your run a microphone threw two preamps that increases hum noise. thx for your help
  2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    The 1/4" jack output of the Art Tube Mp Project is unbalanced, but can drive up to 20dBu. The line inputs of the Delta 1010LT are unbalanced and have a maximum input of about 14dBu when the board is set to the +4dBu range. So if you connect these two, you have a potential overdrive of 6dB. Despite this, I suggest that you try this route, manually limiting the output level of the Art so as not to overload the input of the Delta 1010LT. You will need a mono (TS) jack to RCA (phono) screened cable.

This route does not constitute running the signal through two pre-amps, as the high-level inputs on the 1010LT do not have microphone pre-amps. If this seems to work OK, I would consider buying or building a 6dB attenuator to insert in the line from the ART to the Delta to allow you to use full wick on the pre-amp.