1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Please help with audio setup for recording pastors sermoins

Discussion in 'Recording' started by goodguy, Nov 1, 2008.

1. goodguy

goodguy Guest

I have IT background but no sound background, I would like to record audio and maybe even video to cd or dvd, what kind of equipment should I use for this purpose? I would like for it to be of descent quality. Thanks.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Re: Please help with audio setup for recording pastors sermo

Is he already using a PA system that you can take a feed from, or do you need to equip him with a microphone specifically for the recording?

Yes, it could well be all downhill from here.

3. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Re: Please help with audio setup for recording pastors sermo

Gah, I was going to say something like that.
    Now, not to sound condescending but --- :lol:

I have an IT background (I'm the resident geek, I guess), and my audio background was in a Church.

What you need is a budget. Do they want it cheap? Give em it cheap and when they complain, ask them for a budget to do it properly.
    But if they want it "acceptable" which is probably the case then tell them it won't be cheap.

If you already have a PA rig (or Induction Loop), as Boswell said, find out the gear involved and what options you have from that. Are there Aux/Monitor sends (not in use) on the mixer? Is there a Direct Out from the microphone input?

I'll assume you want to record to a computer. So that means deciding on an audio interface (your Creative Soundblaster is the budget option, referred to above) and software - for sermons I find I don't edit much if at all, so anything such as these would do. (Links are in rough order of price required to get them). I suggest Kristal, it works for me.
    (See also: Free Recording Software? Suggestions)

Now, you want these to go onto a CD? So you'll need some CD burning software.

(More CD burning programs and discusison thereof should be in the Mastering Forum).

4. goodguy

goodguy Guest

Lol thanks for the correction every1. I need to get a mic that can be clippedo n his shirt or something, (wireless) that I can connect to the comp at the other end. Would this be enough?

5. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

No.

The thing you want I believe is called a lavalier, or lapel mic depending where you go.

You should have a wireless receiver as part of that, and that will provide output in the form of either (or both of):
    -XLR low impedance
    -TRS high impedance
    output. You then need a way of getting the output from one of these into your PC. This will require an audio interface.