1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

please recommend me a very sealed, leakage free headphon

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Alécio Costa - Brazil, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Distinguished Member

Hi friends
    I daily use K240M AKG headphones. They are very comfortable, sound nice but as I have been sessioning lots of semideff musicians, leakage starts to become a problem. I know they have other models, with different impedances and so. I donpt have a chance to test all models here in Brazil. Some people mention Sony, Senheiser, Koss.
    I use other cheap models made in Brazil, quite sealed but sound horrible and are not very comfortable.
    at the $100/$150 range which models would ya recommend me?
    :p

2. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Without a doubt, the Sennheiser HD280s are what you want.

3. Alécio Costa - Brazil

thanks David!
    in fact sweetwater has some nice offers concerning sony mdr.. are they sealed enough?

4. David French

I haven't used the Sony's but the Sennheisers are so good that you really don't need to look any further: One of my happiest purchases ever. They are quite loud (louder than the K240s which I use as well), sound fantastic, are very comfortable, and are sealed enough for even a nearly deaf classical guitarist doing an overdub on a metal record. And no, I don't own stock in Sennheiser ;)

5. Alécio Costa - Brazil

thanks!
    what is the best place to buy them in the USA?
    Manny´s?
    Sam Ash?
    Sweetwater:
    BH?
    Guitar Center:
    Thoroughbred?

thanks

6. David French

Just about everyone sells them for $99.95 USD, but one place that occasionally has good prices, Bayview Pro Audio, is selling them for $89.95. I have bought from them before and had a good experience. Also, they are sometimes available from dealers on Ebay for a little bit less.

7. Alécio Costa - Brazil

many thanks friend but ebay does not allow sending to Brazil. someone would have to pick t and send me.
    :(

8. David French

Sorry. In that case, your cheapest bet would be Bayview.

9. Alécio Costa - Brazil

10. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

I just got a pair of the Sennheiser HD280's this past week, and I have to agree that they are a great set of headphones for about US$100. Comfortable, great sound, loud, very little leakage...

BTW, I also have a pair of the AKG's...as well as a couple of others!

11. Alécio Costa - Brazil

double, where did ya buy it?

12. johnclark2

johnclark2 Guest

If you like the way that Sony MDR-7506's sound then you might want to take a look at these:

Superphones

A little bit more than you want to spend but they just may do the trick for you.

JHC

13. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Alecio:

I got mine at Guitar Center for US$99, but you can order them anywhere for that same price...

I am very happy with them for the price.

14. Alécio Costa - Brazil

15. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

I just found out about those last weekend. The super phones have 20 db noise dampening. They also sell "Ultraphones" which are the same Sony 7506 drivers with 29 db noise dampening. They want $219.00 U.S. for the Ultraphones but I found a pair on e-bay for 160 (and promptly ordered them!).

I've got a pair of StudioKans that have 29 db dampening but they have Koss drivers which I don't like. Anybody want a pair (cheap!)

Seriously though, The Sony's drivers aren't perfect but they sure aren't bad. I've got 5 pairs already. Phones with those drivers and 29 db dampening should be awesome!

16. PatrickC

PatrickC Guest

Until I get good headphones I'm going w/ the cheap alternative. Get a pair of little in-ear headphones or the ones that are thin and wrap around the back of your ear. Then buy some isolation ear-thingies (they look like headphones but have no chord) and put those on over the headphones. That's my cheapass way.

17. aloomens

aloomens Active Member

Sennheaiser says that the HD280's have 32 db noise dampening. Could that be correct?

18. Hasse

Hasse Guest

I use Beyer DT 250. They are nice to wear, have a soft but still detailed sound and I've never heard a leakage. The cable is easy changeable too. A lot better than the K240's, will not touch one of these anymore.

Hans,
    http://

19. Alécio Costa - Brazil

thanks Hagen,
    how much did you pay for it? what about frequency response? suitable for recording semi deaf drummers also?
    :)

20. jdier

jdier Active Member

Home Page:
    http://www.stereoheadphones.net/sennheiser-hd-280-pro-headphones.html