1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Plug-ins loading down my system

Discussion in 'Recording' started by blaumph2cool, Dec 25, 2005.

1. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

Hey,

I use a laptop for my DAW and the power is quite lacking, especially when it comes to using plug-ins.

Has anyone ever used a seperate computer to take some of the load of plug-ins? can this even be done.

I saw that Waves has a hardware solution that uses ethernet cable to connect instead of USB, Firewire, etc. It's a bit too pricy for me right now.

Thanks for your input.

-Chris W

2. backinthelab

backinthelab Guest

Try the TC Powercore for an external F/W solution. I have it and it works great. Other than that, Logic 7 allows node operation which greatly reduces load on your main CPU. I believe that this only works with a G5, though.

3. mud5150

mud5150 Guest

these guys make some interesting software, never tried it myself but they have a demo. Once I get my full setup running I'll prob give it a try.
    http://www.fx-max.com/

4. iznogood

iznogood Guest

chris... what are you using???

5. blaumph2cool

-backinthelab: The thing I am woried about with the power core is power. i want to be able to run more than 1 or 2 plugs.

-mud: this looks cool i'll check it out. Thanks!!

-iznoggod, I am using N-Track 4.1 on a Sony VAIO P4 2Ghz, 512MB RAM, F/W to a Firepod.

6. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

I have heard about this, but I don't know much about it. On a 100mbps LAN, what kind of Plug-in performance can one expect (assuming 2 powerful PC's)? I also assume system latency would increase (no biggie for mixing).

:cool:

7. GregP

GregP Guest

You can do it in a manner of speaking using WormHole 2 by Apulsoft. It actually sends back the audio stream, but the net result is the same.

Here's a link: http://plasq.com/wormhole

8. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

What DAW software are you running? <edit> Oh I see; N-Track. It sounds like you could use a good "freeze" function..

.. have you ever considered Tracktion? ;)

9. blaumph2cool

Yeah, i use the freez function sometimes. but it can be annoying when you want to tweek someing in your mix.

Other than the plug-in issue I am really happy with N-Track it works well with my setup. I also have Cubase LE, which i don't use too oftin because its just a pain to setup each session.

-Chris W