1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Plug-ins vs destruction

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Caisson, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Caisson

Caisson Guest

I was working on a song and threw a plugin on one of the vocals....the output was perfert...then I unplugged the plugin and destructively put the compressor on the vocal (altering the wave file) and it came out dull. My question is, is it better to just work with the plugs and not alter the wave file?

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Why destructively edit when you don't have to? The only answer is because you need the CPU cycles.

3. Caisson

Caisson Guest

Good reply....so if I track a vocal with very little compression going in....once I have the wave file Dynamics and everything.....are you saying I shouldn't mess with that vocal destructively? I should just use plugins.

also I use to use gates on all my vocals to get rid of back ground noise (head phones/ other interference type things) but it seems to take "something" away from the feel of the vocal. So im fiquring that I should just treat my booth a little better among other things.

another thining with tracking... should I hear the beat in the back ground ( I know that theres is some bleed but should it be that significant.

4. David French

You never know when you might want to do a remix or have someone else do one, so if you print the compression, you'll have to live with it forever.

Try to kill the bleed at the source. If it's just from headphones, get another pair, or if you're on a budget, try earbuds.

5. Caisson

Caisson Guest

hey dav....is it possible to kill all the bleed with a good pair of headphones?

6. David French

Yes. Try a sealed headphone like the Sennheiser HD280. Also, earbuds work well, and if your talent must have extreme volume, try earbuds with selaed headphones, turned off, over the top.

7. dedalus

dedalus Guest

If the plugins are slowing you down you can disable them while working on other tracks then re-enable them for the mixdown. If you are using a lot of the same plugin on different tracks you can also consider setting up a parralel bus for it.

8. Caisson

Caisson Guest

you guys are the biggest help..thanx david and also dedalus....to good pieces of advice that I didn't know or think of.........

9. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Any track that you think you want to do destructive processing on, clone it and leave the original intact. Gives you a way to retrace your steps.

10. geeknik

geeknik Guest

If you do this you won't have individual controls on the tracks will you?

11. Digger

Digger Guest

Just as a general rule you should be saving multiple copies of your anyways - this is a great habit to get into. Just save your file before making any changes. I will often put a number beside the name of the song. If I have enough room I will date it i.e. Song X - 2005 06 30, If you have multiple saves of the same song on the same day, I add a letter to the end i.e. Song X - 2005 06 30 A, Song X - 2005 06 30 B etc...