1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

plugging a mixer into an iPhone for podcasting purposes

Discussion in 'Recording' started by silent_nick, Feb 10, 2010.

1. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

Okay, here's my situation:

My bandmate and I want to start doing a regular podcast where we interview other bands/artists/etc. while we're on tour. I would really prefer to record these into my iPhone if possible. I was wondering if anyone would have any idea of a small mixer I could plug a few mics into which would then go into the iphone's sound jack. I would use my portable DAW for this but it's way too large to take on tour. I'm looking for something I could fit comfortably into a backpack.

Any ideas for this or any possible ways to accomplish what I'd like to accomplish?

Thanks in advance.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

I'm not keen on the idea of using the iPhone as a recorder. The audio quality is just not there, even for interviews or other non-musical material. If you really want to press ahead with using it, you could look for a battery-operated mixer such as the Edirol M-10DX (now discontinued) to act as a front-end, but I think you would be better off with something like the Zoom H4N 4-track recorder. The H4N records to SD cards and has a built-in pair of stereo mics. It can record from those plus two others connected via XLR inputs. You can mix the results to stereo in a rudimentary way when replaying to the headphone jack if you desperately wanted to get it into the iPhone, or you could connect the unit as a USB audio or file interface when you have access to a computer.