1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Plugging in directly or micing??

Discussion in 'Recording' started by deluxe74, Aug 13, 2007.

1. deluxe74

deluxe74 Guest

Hello, I'm new to the recording world, but here's my problem. I have a Yamaha AW 16 G in my basement, and I get great clean sound out of my guitar just plugging my amp directly into the machine, but whenever I get distorted, the distortion sound I'm getting from the machine is FAR different from the sound out of my amp. Amy tips? Thanks alot!

2. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

It's like you asked. Try micing the amp. Even with a relatively cheap, but pro quality mic like the Shure SM57 you should be able to get good results.

Plugging a guitar in directly when using distortion requires a special output called something like speaker simulation. Those come with varying results, so to begin recording a distorted guitar, you are better of micing the thing.

The rest is in the mic placement, quality of your guitar and amp, quality of your mic input, gain setting, acoustics of the room.

For lots of highs point the mic at the centre of the cone. Point off centre for more bass response.

cheers

3. deluxe74

deluxe74 Guest

Ok, cool! I actually tried an SM57, but it seemed to not come through as clear as the clean sound.

4. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

Give it some more time and experiment some more. You should be able to get a strong signal from that setup. Is your gain setting adequate?

5. deluxe74

deluxe74 Guest

Yes it is. i'll just fart around with it more untill I can get the tone I want. Thanks a ton for your help!

6. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Here is a professional recording tip!

Most rock-and-roll guitars are Miked with SM57's, both live and in the studio. It's because it has THAT sound. Anything else will also get you good sounds but they won't get you THAT sound. Direct guitars can be useful and sound good but if you are a real guitarist, you play through real guitar amplifiers because you want that real guitar flavor. Mmmm good.

Could I interest you in a good imitation Rolls-Royce?? Right.....

I don't work for Shure I work to get good sound
    Ms. Remy Ann David

7. deluxe74

deluxe74 Guest

Thanks a ton for the tip, I'll take that into consideration!