1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

POINTS???????

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by dirtysouthstunta, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Hello everyone!!! I am making hip hop beats and submitting them to some major artists in hopes that they will buy them. I have heard of the term "points", and I'm pretty sure that means that I want to make a cut off of that song when it sells right? Well wheather I'm right or wrong, could you please give me a basic description of how I can go about making money off of a song that I made the instrumental for after it starts selling? I want to make a cut of it. From step 1 to step 100, how do I do this? And how much do I ask for? And is this what most people do? Thank you so much for your time! It is greatly appreciated!!!
    Peace and God Bless!!!

2. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

I am not an expert on this but...

Some of the beat makers that I have worked with in the past not only charged a fee (sometimes a five figure fee depending on the writer) but they also negotiated a point or two as well. I think you should read this link:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/vol17/issue41/music.labels.html

You should also find yourself an entertainment lawyer to help out as well especially when negotiating points for a track or album/ep/cd/whatever.