1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pop filter material questions...

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by corrupted, Aug 18, 2006.

1. corrupted

corrupted Guest

I've seen many different versions of pop filters that mount on the vocal mic stand. I have a generic fabric one that seems to do okay. Is there a noticable difference when using one that's made of something else? Is it a worthwhile investment? Or will a fabric one do?
    I'm currently using a StudioProjects C series mic, if that matters. The StudioProjects pop filter looks neat and all, but I don't know if it's really a big deal or not.

Also, the foam mic cover/windscreen. Do people use those in combination with the stand mounted screen? I've avoided them in the past... but is it worth trying?
  2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    There is a metal-screen version of a pop filter by Steadman (sp?). I have one and keep meaning to buy another. They are MUCH better at doing what they are supposed to do over the fabric ones. IMHO, they are worth the extra $$ in that they are washable and really last a lifetime.
    I rarely run into a situation where I need a foam windscreen on a mic IN THE STUDIO. Outdoors, sure. But they attenuate too much of the presence frequencies to use in the studio. That's why you see the pop-stopper-types all over the place now. You must have a camel spittin' on the thing to need THAT much filtering!
  3. corrupted

corrupted Guest

Funny you should mention that...

Thanks for the info, I'll have to pick one up. I really hadn't thought much about it before!
  4. JoeH

JoeH Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA/ Greenville, DE
    Home Page:
    You can build your own with something as simple as sheer nylon pantyhose, as well. (Not that I'd have an extra pair lying around, but ya never know.) In a pinch, you can just stretch them around a wirehanger bent into a circle, and off you go.

Actually, I keep a set of black/sheer "No-Nonsense" brand pantyhose in my road kit for wind and popping issues, and it caused quite a bit of laugh and teasing when a female clarinetist noticed them in the case once. She's never stopped teasing me about carrying around a pair of them since then, but I don't mind. I just keep telling her I want HER to model them for me!
  5. maintiger

maintiger Distinguished Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Whittier, California, USA
    Home Page:
    I agree with the stedman pop filter- it does not dull recordings like the mesh ones do- 8)
  6. corrupted

corrupted Guest

Okay, so I got the Studio Projects pop filter, and I very much prefer it to the fabric filter. I think it ran about $25, and it was well worth it for the clarity and ease of cleaning. Thanks for the help!