1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Portable digital recording

Discussion in 'Recording' started by thekraken, Jan 28, 2008.

1. thekraken

thekraken Guest

I am a double bass player, looking for equipment to record myself for professional symphony audition tapes and for general practicing purposes. I am looking for a high quality sound that I can send digitally online for critique-ing.

I recently recorded on a friends setup which was a Sennheiser e914 condensor mic and going into an edirol R-09 portable recorder. The sound was very good so I went and bought the same mic, but am debating against 2 recorders.

The first recorder is the same R-09 that I used, and the sound was good. It is a 24.bit recorder, however it doesn't have a a built in phatom power, which isn't a problem, but it the input for the mic has to be adapted to an 1/8 inch input. Does this affect the sound quality?

The second recorder is Marantz PMD660. It has two XLR inputs, with a built in phantom power supply. i could use a stereo pair of mics, but would this make a significant difference in quality and detail? The PMD660 records in 16-bit, so does that make a big enough difference?

The prices between them are only about 100 dollars in difference, so it's not a big deal. I just want to know if anyone knows anything about these two or if anyone knows which is better.