1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

portable minidisc recording

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mluckett, Mar 25, 2002.

1. mluckett

mluckett Guest

I'm looking for the easiest ways to make 1 or 2-track field recordings, from outdoor sounds to a quick set-up for the occassional jam. I've been looking at the Tascam 564 (perfect, except for the early version of ATRAC compression and no phantom power, and I don't necessarily need all 4 ins, or the editing abilities), and that got me thinking about using one of the little player/recorders. Ideally, it would have two phantom powered XLR ins, and SPDIF or a USB port to feed recordings to my studio editing software. The Marantz PMD-500 is apparently pretty close to this.
    The Marantz is also $1200, though. How do the walkman-type mini player recorders do with live sound? What kind of signal quality can you get through the standard 1/8" stereo mic in?
  2. jsdkl

jsdkl Guest

I've used a Sony MV-R700 for live to two track recording, taking the signals from the FOH console into the line in. I then recorded it onto my computer and played with it a bit.

The biggest problem was just the sound itself (having to very quickly mic everything with mostly SM-57s, no overhead on the drums, etc.) The ATRAC compression didn't cause anything noticeable (though this is a pretty recent unit).

I've heard of people using special stereo mics and a more heavy duty power supply for recording. Check out http://www.minidisc.org for some good info.