1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Possible drum tracking idea?

Discussion in 'Drums' started by ThirdBird, Dec 21, 2010.

1. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

Signal Chain:

2 Overheads (Cheap Nady's) into preamps of cheap Behr*(&(*& mixer, mixed as the main signal.

1 Kick Mic (Cheap Nady) into DBX pre-amp (heavy compression) into line input of Behr(*&$ mixer, mixed to taste.

1 Room Mic (AT2020) into DBX pre-amp (moderate compression to taste) into line input of Behr@#@^% mixer, mixed to taste.

Pan overheads hard left/right, and room mic and kick mic center.
    I only have 2 inputs from my AD into my DAW.

In the box:

Track 1 - Drums Left (mono) - roll off everything below 200ish.
    Track 2 - Drums Right (mono) - roll off everything below 200ish.
    Track 3 - Drums Stereo (summed to mono) - roll off everything above 150ish.
    (would definitely play with those EQ settings)

The goal is to get a stereo spread of the drums, with individual kick control. I would use the room mic to help thicken up the overheads, using the parellel compressed room mic, while the summed stereo to mono EQed kick track giving me a kick track.

Any thoughts about this setup? Obviously I know my ears are boss, its the drummer and the drums, but also just wanted to run this idea by you guys for any input, advice, or potential pitfalls before I try it.

In a previous thread I got a great response from I believe Davedog saying to add the room mic, but sum all of the overs and room to one track and the kick to a separate track. I got a nice clear and strong signal from all sources, but I miss the natural stereo spread.

Thank you for any anticipated help! On a side note, working with this minimal gear is restrictive at times, but has also forced me to think "outside the box" (get it?) Necessity certainly is the mother of invention!

- Mike

NEW LINK AFTER SOME TWEAKS!

NEW LINK OF FIRST DEMO OF THIS METHOD!

2. natural

natural Active Member

After reading this a couple of times, I think you intend to record to tracks 1 and 2, then make a mono copy to track 3 is that correct?
    That could possibly get you a little more control of the kick drum and still have a little stereo. It's not going to be great, but it's at least something.
    Post an example when you get one.

3. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

Natural,

That is a correct, track3 is a mono sum of both tracks, but just the low frequencies. Here is a link to the previous way I mentioned, the one where the 3 mics are mono and I have the separate kick.

Shouting @ Librarians's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I will post a recording of how it turns out when it gets done!

4. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

You might want to have a look at those plugins.
    They can influence L-R-Mid signals separately..

Brainworx | Plug-ins
    Brainworx | bx_digital V2 Tutorial

5. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

BigK,

Those plugins look great but pricey! $$$

6. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

LOL.. this is pro recording forum....
    Nothing comes cheap, here.
    ;-)

For what it can do it seems a reasonable price.
    The bundles are a bargain. Audio quality is superb.
    Maybe try the demos?

7. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

I just found time to trying this method.... here is my first go at it....

Drumtest by mstar on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

what are your thought? I also put a new link at the top too.

8. natural

natural Active Member

Well, it is what it is.
    Pretty much what I would expect.
    It seems to have lost the drummers right side of the mix. (assuming RH drummer)
    1st 2 toms seem ok, next 2 toms get lost.

Another Idea.
    This is the Recorderman technique:
    YouTube - Recorderman Overhead Drum Mic Technique

- I would eliminate the room mic in favor of a close snare mic.
    - Try to get the blend of kick and snr correct going in.
    - If you need more kick or snr come mix time, make a copy of one of the channels instead of combining to mono, and try your eq.
    - Alternatively, make a copy of the stereo track, phase reversed, to mono. Not necessarily to cancel out, but you might be able to get a little extra snare or hi end control by varying the levels.

9. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

Float drum test by mstar on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

here is a link with some setting and mic positions tweaked a bit....
    toms seem a bit weak, but I ok with that limited setup