1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Possible to send analog audio over fiber?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by try2break, Apr 13, 2001.

1. try2break

try2break Guest

I had a notion today. Why are fiber optics restricted soley to digital transmission? Wouldn't it be possible to send analog audio over a glass fiber optic cable? Is anyone working on this? Or are the transmiters/recievers not clean enuff compared to electrical analog audio?
  2. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    I believe it was tried in the early days of fiber optics but they found the frequency response inadequate for high fidelity recording.
  3. Dedric

Dedric Guest

I didn't know it was tried but would be surprised if there was any success at all consider that I believe analog would require light level/power changes with amplitudes instead of just on/off pulses, which would run into all kinds of issues with distance, refraction, bends, etc (perhaps the reason for frequency response problems? - i.e. low signal levels at high frequency would dissipate too quickly? - just a guess). In general fiber optics have always been best at pulse/digital transmissions, and can run much higher data rates digitally than most analog media can, which translate into a higher frequency response in the end.