1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Potential Home Studio Setup

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Jarci, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Jarci

Jarci Active Member

Im looking to get a mac notebook with Intel Core 3 Duo, 1GB DDR2 memory, 120 GB harddrive.

Is this enough to safely run with MAudio project mix, Pro Tools M-Powered, and reason at the same time??? I will be recording the 8 inputs at the same time.

Should I get more memory????

Also on m audio website it says that the Project mix I/o can be expanded to record up to a total of 16 inputs at the same time via 8x8 ADAT Lightpipe I/O. Please someone explain this to me??? will each of the 16 inputs be in there own tracks??????

All the equimpnet Im going to buy will be used? Is there anything I should ask the seller to do before purchasing it???

Thanx in advace
    Jarci

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

"Should I get more memory????"

In general, unless you have a silly amount already, are using a 32bit OS, can't find compatible parts, or are exceptionally skint, the answer should always otherwise be yes.

3. Jarci

Jarci Active Member

I don;t know cause i don't have the Mac yet. is 2gb memory enough??

4. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

If you get an additional 8-channel preamplifer/converter with an ADAT output, you can plug it into the Lightpipe input of the ProjectMix. This gives you a further 8 channels, each with its own track.

And yes, 2GB memory would be better than 1GB.

5. Codemonkey

To define my idea of a "silly amount" of memory, I'd put the threshold at 8GB. Anything above that is stupid, unless you're in a server farm or are running an entire LAN party worth of Crysis on the same machine. (GL with that).

6. Jarci

Jarci Active Member

thank you Boswell for answering my questions. Im looking over the net for used equipment.

One more qestion Mac Laptop or iMac....i will be traveling

7. Codemonkey

"One more qestion Mac Laptop or iMac....i will be traveling."

Well, there you go then. Laptop. Unless you don't mind carrying a case around and always needing power.

8. TopherNeverDies

TopherNeverDies Active Member

I got a macbook and it's a useful little sucker. Haven't had any problems so far and if you're going to be traveling than it'll be very useful.

Respectfully,
    Christopher