1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Power buzz when recording

Discussion in 'Recording' started by RockLobster11, May 16, 2004.

1. I'm trying to record live stuff, and I'm pluggin my laptop inito the same place ans the board(Yamaha o2R96...it's awesome) and I'm using a home version of Sound Forge(it sucks. I want the full version). I'm using an RCA to 1/8" cable to the input on my Dell Inspiron 8200. For some reason, I still am getting a buzz from the power. Does anyone know how I can record without getting the buzz other than just unplugging the laptop and running off battery power?
  2. xcessbass

xcessbass Guest

replace power supply

I have an Inspiron 5150 and it started the same thing. The only difference was i could physically hear the power box(in line with the power cable/supply) making a buzzing noise. Called up Dell and they sent me a new one. Apparantly their power supplies are garbage. Since they replaced it and the power cable, the noise has disappeared. if you dont have the warranty, go to http://www.tigerdirect.com and get a replacement one, their quite cheap.
  3. Are you sure you dont mean that you have a Dell Dimension? It's kinda hard to get and replace the power supply for a laptop. You mainly guet a new cord. I've also checked into getting the Echo Audio Indigo IO to fix this.
  4. Jammer40351

Jammer40351 Guest

It sounds like you have a ground loop problem, or the sound of the eletricity (60/50 htz) gettng into the audio. One thing to check for is to be sure the electric cable is pluged in right- most new cables are polerized with one side of the ac prongs sligtly larger than the other side. If their is a 3rd middle prong that is broken off or circumvented it is possible to plug them in the wrong way, which sometimes results in the ground/shield side of the a.c. being tied wrong. Sometimes this can cause this problem.

Good luck.
  5. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Woodbridge, Va
    Home Page:
    I use to also get this type of noise when I used a RCA to 1/8" cable coupled to a sound blaster audio card some years ago. Apparently this type of connection is'nt as reliable as a 1/4" balanced or XLR style connector. I suspect it to be linked to how well the cable is insulated and its ability to reject RF or EMI. I've been a faithful Echo user (20bit & 24bit Layla's) for about 4 years now and do believe the Indigo interface will serve you best for superior sound quality.