1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

pre-amp under $100

Discussion in 'Recording' started by MaloS, Jan 4, 2006.

1. MaloS

MaloS Guest

Hey, I am looking for a preamp for home-recording, specifically for electric guitars and 1-2 sm57 mics.
    My setup is:

(mic/guitar) => preamp => echo indigo io => (laptop + soundforge + audacity)

so far I am looking at M-Audio/Midiman Audio Buddy, would there be any better recomendations for this?
  2. daveg62

daveg62 Guest

proaudiotoys.com has dmp3 for $135 if you can stretch your buget a little. i just ordered one myself.
  3. MaloS

MaloS Guest

ya i like the way that thing looks, just out of curioisity though, how much improvement is it going to be?
  4. jcnoernberg

jcnoernberg Guest

I noticed it's stereo which is cool... but will you be utilizing that? I mean you're essentially buying two $60 preamps. maybe you could get a higher quality $120 mono unit... again, if that's all you'd need... I tend to just record one instrument at a time
  5. Kemble

Kemble Guest

Presonus Tube Pre.
    I don't know what else is out there for $89-99, but I have zero complaints about this unit.
    I use it mainly as a DI for my guitar into my CPU, and for vocals. Small demo / home studio.

8.9 for sound at harmony central user reviews. It is what it is. Highly recommended if you're looking to get your signal cleanly into/onto a recording format.

EDIT/ADDITION- or go with a nice USB2.0 deal. Plug in is easy and its easily mobile. Will be going w/ Firewire interface next at my place.
  6. jonnyc

jonnyc Guest

The dmp3 isn't just two $60 pre's. That's what it sells for but it outperforms that IMO. I've also owned the tubepre and the dmp3 slaughters it.
  7. Kemble

Kemble Guest

Just dug around the web, and I think I'm going to be getting a new preamp. Or two, in one unit. :D

Looks a great item, especially for what he's looking to do, and in a low price range.

Good call.

8. Thedave

Thedave Guest

Guitar center has the audio buddy and 2 condencer mics for $99, if you don't get the MXL condencers you can get it for about $40, it might take take some sweet talking but if you are looking for cheap...
  9. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2005
    There are also companies like "Rolls", that offer such things(Many companies offer such things.). If I had only $100 to spend, I'd be looking for the one that does the least - trying to make sure as much of my money, as possible, went INTO the preamp, itself - with NO COIN spent on "extra" features, NO TUBE(At this price-point the only hope for quality is solid state), no compression, fancy lights, case, etc... Try for a low-priced/featured "pro" brand(Some pro companies offer "single channels" of "just this", just a pre, whatever.).