1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pre amping

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dynasty, Dec 2, 2009.

1. dynasty

dynasty Guest

what is up. this is dynasty. i am using a digidesign pro tools mbox 2 pro. i have a recording studio set up in my home. i am running a mixing board with 12 tracks. the pro tools has pre amps and so does the mixing board. i would like to have more inputs instead of just swaping each instrument out and then plugging another in. would it be ok just to run the mbox 2 pro into the mixing board or is the quality of recording not good to run a pre amp into a pre amp?
  2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    Run the main L-R outputs of the mixer into the two line inputs of the Mbox 2 Pro (not the combo or the instrument inputs). This will enable you to mix and pan several inputs down to a stereo pair, and then record that along with two other sources taken directly into the Mbox.

As for quality, it depends. With a reasonable mixer, your audio quality is going to be limited anyway by the Mbox.
  3. dynasty

dynasty Guest

thanks for the info. i will check it out and try it that way and let you know what happens.