1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pre question

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Janecorec, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Janecorec

Janecorec Guest

I recently had the TLAudio 5051 Ivory II mic pre/EQ/compressor borrowed, i really liked it but i thought i would hear someone else's thoughts about it and what else in it's price range would be considerable compared to the 5051.

I looked a little at the VoiceMaster Pro and the DBX 3** one channel pre. What else are found in this category? TFPro?

The price is 1000€ and under (for one channel/mono)

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    After this Friday, there should be a few new items released at the AES show that will soon be available. In your range, I know of the new revamped Joe Meek and new Toft Audio stuff. I have a Joe Meek VC1Qcs that I got in a trade deal for some work that I did, and that sucker is pretty impressive for a budget box. Worth a look and listen for sure. Look for them used as they are now gone and repacked in the TFPro line.
  3. Richard Monroe

Richard Monroe Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Framingham, Mass.
    Home Page:
    What you need for a pre depends a lot on what you are recording, and what sound you need. Generally, I kind of lump pres into clean and colored categories, even though I know that is a gross oversimplification of the sonic qualities of different pres.
    If you want something that's pretty transparent, I like Grace 101. The Toft ATC-2 I have not gotten to audition, but it seems to be a lot like the Grace, but in dual channel strip format, with lots of bells and whistles.For a little more color the single channel Great River pre is lovely.
    I have to agree with Audiogaff on the Joemeek. I use a twinQcs, which is basically 2 VC1Qcs's. It's not clean, it's not that versatile, but it does what it does, which is create shades of one very useful and distinctive sound. I just finished 8 months of tracking, with overdubs by 3 other vocalists, and even with an Avalon AD2022 in the rack, a third of the lead vocals and more than half of the backing vocals ended up going through the green machine.-Richie