1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

pre to complement mine?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by took-the-red-pill, Apr 24, 2005.

1. took-the-red-pill

took-the-red-pill Active Member

Hi guys,

Years ago I accidentally scored an old Altec Lansing 1567A at a garage sale for $5. Had no idea what she even was til 3 months ago. She's an old, hand wired, all tube 5 into 1 mixer/pre. She seems to be a pretty nice old girl.

I have just completed having my local electronics guy turn her into a 4 into 4 unit, for $600 dollars light($500 US)

So with 4 channels of vintage tube pre, I'd like to compliment it with a pair of the 7th circle audio stuff, as I can have my brother wire it up and the price is right.(Sorry guys, but I'm not a pro so I'm just not going to drop 2Gs or more on a pre.)

If you were me, would you get:

the SCA J99

"...based on the classic Jensen Twin Servo design...a great preamp to use when a neutral sonic character is required..."

The N72s, a Neve copy.

"The circuitry of the N72 is exactly the same as that of the BA183/283 amplifier used in the 1272, 1073, and other Neve modules."

Or: the SCA A12

"a simple, single stage preamp roughly based on classic American designs of the '70s...an amplifier with an aggressive midrange and pronounced transformer coloration."

I got all these quotes from the 7th circle site, so I hope he doesn't send his lawyers after me, especially if I buy his stuff!

So I'll be recording a variety of the usual acoustic, electric, drum, vocals with various, as yet unpurchased, condensers and dynamic mics. I'm getting the pres looked after first, as I believe pres are way more important than mics.

Any opinions?

Anybody else sell a similar thing for a similar price? ($300-$350 for what I understand is good quality stuff)

Would you get 2 the same or one of 'these' and one of 'those?'

Thanks guys
    Cheers
    Keith

2. Screws

Screws Active Member

Hi,

I own a pair of the N72's and a pair of the J99's. For recording acoustic instruments and vocals the J99 is wonderful. Large, clear and three dimensional.

I like the nicely colored N72 better for amplified guitar and drums - also some rock bass and vocals.