1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Preamp confusion

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by Atmosphere, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere Guest

I've noticed that there is alot of hype about mic preamps, but I am a little confused...

Don't most audio interfaces have preamps already? Wouldn't you be stacking preamps? I heard that doing that creates extra noise.

Please clear me up!
  2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    No, not really.

If you bought a dedicated preamp and an ADC with pre's, Yes.

Ehh... Not really creating extra noise, really more like wasting your time, money, and not using gear appropriately.

You gotta meet your own demand.

Meaning: If you have a dedicated pre, you dont need an ADC that also includes pre's - for instance, say you have 24 dedicated pre's. You'd want something along the lines of a MOTU 24 I/O, as opposed to 3 Presonus Firestudios.

I have a post here somewhere that explains that a little better, give me a sec to find it...
  3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere Guest

Ahh I see, thanks for confirming :)
  4. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL

Found it!
  5. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Quick question(s) that's sort of related (to preamp confusion) ...

A preamp with an XLR and line in ...

If it's connected in series, does that mean both connections are connected to the pre? And if it's connected in parallel, does that mean they are not?

Or is it the other way around?

The line in is meant for an external pre of your choice, yes?
  6. hozomean

hozomean Guest

Methinks you're thinking too hard about it. The line in is meant for line level sources (keyboards, direct signals from guitar, bass, direct box, etc). The XLR is meant for microphones.

Microphone signals have lower impedence than line level signals, so use a slightly different input stage.