1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

preamp/eq to use on samples from old records

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by remkoolpants, Aug 1, 2004.

1. remkoolpants

remkoolpants Guest

Im interested in a preamp/eq to use on samples from old records

I have read in previous posts that the sebatron preamp gives a nice warmth to drum machine/samplers (which is what i work off).

but i often need to eq up the bass in these old recordings or reduce the middle.

would the Sebatron Deuterium or 1000e be a good investment or should I be looking at a 9098 rack or Focusrite 110

I can only afford 1 pre amp and I only need 1 channel as I can resample the sounds.

any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    Any Sebatron is a great value IMO. I love the VMP series of pres but I have not yet had a chance to hear the other offerings from this great company but I know Sebatron ... the man is a freak about audio ..and he builds very nice stuff.

I do have a pair of 9098's and I have to say as an EQ these are almost unsurpassed.. Every EQ will have it's own sound and work in a different way from others. I used to have an old MCI 600 console and the EQs on the channel strips was killer on drums. I cannot get anywhere near to the sound from the 9098, that I got from those old channel strips in the MCI. But I have used the Ameks for restoration of audio off of old cassettes and rtr tapes and it makes them sound absolutly huge! They also have a notch feature on the 2 mid bands which would most likely be exactally what you are looking for..
  3. remkoolpants

remkoolpants Guest

thanks for the info kurt

I think the 9089 might me just out of my price range

but the MCI 600 sounds interesting, they used to use a MCI 636 board at D&D studios in New York and I am a fan of a lot of the music that came out of that studio.

Is it possible to get the channel strips working without a console. Ive seen eqs on ebay that have been racked and powered.
    Is there any info on the internet about how to do this ?
  4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    You are correct! The MCI 600's were very nice sounding boards. They require a lot of maintenance however. If it weren't for that, I would still own mine.

I have tried more than once to find someone to rack and power a couple of extra super 600 strips that I still have with no luck. It's always cost prohibitive... and to tell the truth I don't think they would have any resale value ... not that many people are hip to the MCIs ...
  5. remkoolpants

remkoolpants Guest

what about a sebatron 1000e and a secondhand $300 parametric eq? (Orban or dbx etc)

is it save to say that the EQs on high-end neve type preamps $*^t on $300 secondhand parametric EQs
  6. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, it is very safe to say if tone is what is important and what you are after. Samples can pumped up in flavor with a good old fasion mic pre and/or compressor. I like and use Neve, API, Manley, Focusrite Red and many others to spice up things.
  7. remkoolpants

remkoolpants Guest

thanks for your help guys

I think I'll go for the 9098 cuz of the eq and cuz I can get one secondhand.
  8. Bhennies

Bhennies Guest

Try out a BBE maximizer (882 balanced) after the pre. If it does one thing right (and it can do wrong for sure) it makes old records sound fantastic. Only around 280 US as well.
  9. Alyi

Alyi Guest

to Bhennies
    What's BBE maximizer 882 for? Do you have any experence for it?