1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

preamp for 600 bucks?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by BitBurn, Jan 31, 2005.

1. BitBurn

BitBurn Guest

I really kinda liked the Studio Projects Vtb-1 pre, but it is only one channel... I realize this is a tall order, but is there a tube pre out there with four channels thats worth mentioning? I realize this is a tall order, so I guess I could drop it down to 2 channels if its necessary... I saw the studio projects 828, which looked interesting, but its not tube, and 600 bucks looked kinda cheap for an 8 channel pre... I really like tube warmth, but I could also go with solidstate if its so highly recommended by some of you guys :cool:

I know there is a difference between pre's as far as colored and transparent sound, which is why I liked the VTB1 with its ability to kind of vary between the two

(p.s. don't suggest buying 4 VTB1's, lol, I've already thought of that)

2. BitBurn

BitBurn Guest

while doing some research, I came across the Focusrite MH443 TwinTrak Pro Platinum Series 2-Channel Preamp/Compressor
    http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--FOCMH443
    and the ART Digital MPA Solid Gold Microphone Preamplifier
    http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ARTMPAD

I have heard people say to stay away from art products, is there any weight in this? what is the overall public opinion regarding these pres? anybody have any experience with them? I'll do more looking around, and post what I find

3. Boltino

Boltino Guest

I think the TwinTrak pro is a great option in your price range. Solid preamps, compressor, and eq. Not as many features as some of the higher end stuff, but IMO it is a great deal for the price. It also has an optional AD card.

Boltino

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I don't think there is much difference in any of the less expensive mic pres in terms of sound quality. In the end, at mix time I doubt that anyone could tell the difference between the $150 VTB1 and any other pre costing $600 ... so I reccomend you look to the features list to base your desicion on.

I kind of like the VTB1 ... at first I didn't ... but to be fair I was comparing it to a $2500 mic pre so that wasn't really fair. Then I compared it to a Mackie pre and I still wasn't that impressed.

Finally, I took it to my best friends sons studio and compared the VTB1 to the pres in his KORG D1600 ... wow! Night and day difference ... so for the money I think it's hard to go wrong with the VTB1. I seriously doubt there's anything that's really better sounding at twice the price.

5. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

That ART MPA Gold is about the best deal you can get for a 2-channel toob pre under $600.
    But, you know, don't expect to squeal and wet your pants over it or nothing. It is more of a Budget Pre than "Pro Audio."

6. BitBurn

BitBurn Guest

these are both going to be better than the pre's in the 1820m, correct?

7. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Most likely not ... perhaps more flexible with some tonal options ... but you really have to get into the high end before pres become "better" IMO.

8. teleharmonic

teleharmonic Guest

i have found the RNP by FMR audio to be signifigantly better than the Presonus Blue tube, M-audio Duo and the single channel Joe Meek VQsomething (which are the only preamps i have had the opportunity to compare it too back to back.)

It would not sound anything like an expensive tube preamp however i have found it to produce tracks that sound less 'hazy' and are much easier to blend come mixdown time. it is in your price range (2 channels).

cheers,
    greg

9. DaveG

DaveG Guest

I just picked up a groove tubes "THE BRICK" and this thing is great, for well under $600 you get a nice sounding tube preamp with phantom power it,s also a great DI box not to mention it's built as solid as a brick, very handy unt.