1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

preamp poll for purchase next week

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by DeeBee, Apr 21, 2006.

?

which preamp from the below

1. MPA Gold

100.0%
  2. SPL Gold Mike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Aphex 207

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. TL Audio 5050

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Presonus Eureka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Cubase System 4 (DL3 with bundled RME interface / preamps)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Focusrite Trakmaster Pro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DeeBee

DeeBee Guest

Being in the UK I don't have access to the same range that are mentioned regularly and those that I do are at wildly differing prices. In my price range I have the following options to compliment my Rode K-2. Which of the above would you recommend?

Primarily it will be for vocals but the more versatile the better.

Many thanks,

Dave

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Active Member

I haven't worked with / used all of them, but I do own a Trak Master channel strip and an ART MPA (with JJ Tesla tubes).

I use the TrakMaster mainly for direct tracking bass guitar and it seems to have found a good niche there with its compressor, multi-band EQ (I have the older one, not the pro) and the A/D card (it's for sale in the classifieds).

The MPA is better for vocals and acoustic guitar IMO. It's airier and maybe more detailed, but also does a great job on bass.

I would think the Eureka is a step up from those two, and then the SPL a step up from that.

You've mentioned a combination of channel strips and pure preamps though. If you want an all-in-one solution, go channel strip, if you're looking for best possible sound at the $ point, then go preamp-only. I think you need to zero in on what you're looking for, then your choices might be a little easier.

3. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Seriously, this is a BIG HUGE No-Brainer!!

The SPL Gold Mike is a completely different (and FAR superiour) mic pre to ALL of the others listed.

The MPA is a good pre and the RME stuff is fine.

All of the other stuff....I just don't think so.

I like the Aphex 107, but I haven't been that impressed by the 207D as of yet. Though I've only used it once.

J

4. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

But aren't all mic pres the same? :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll:

5. Groff

Groff Active Member

SPL Gain Station. Absolute amazing for $.

6. aphid

aphid Guest

for use with vocals primarily, i like the groove tubes brick, and I can generally talk any sales guy down to $300 on them.

To my knowledge, its a class a true tube pre. this with an rnc compressor is one hell of a vocal chain. If you bought either, I don't think you'd regre it.