1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

preamp poll for purchase next week

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by DeeBee, Apr 21, 2006.

which preamp from the below

1. MPA Gold

2. SPL Gold Mike

0 vote(s)
  3. Aphex 207

0 vote(s)
  4. TL Audio 5050

0 vote(s)
  5. Presonus Eureka

0 vote(s)
  6. Cubase System 4 (DL3 with bundled RME interface / preamps)

0 vote(s)
  7. Focusrite Trakmaster Pro

0 vote(s)
  1. DeeBee

DeeBee Guest

Being in the UK I don't have access to the same range that are mentioned regularly and those that I do are at wildly differing prices. In my price range I have the following options to compliment my Rode K-2. Which of the above would you recommend?

Primarily it will be for vocals but the more versatile the better.

Many thanks,

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Active Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Aurora, ON, Canada
    I haven't worked with / used all of them, but I do own a Trak Master channel strip and an ART MPA (with JJ Tesla tubes).

I use the TrakMaster mainly for direct tracking bass guitar and it seems to have found a good niche there with its compressor, multi-band EQ (I have the older one, not the pro) and the A/D card (it's for sale in the classifieds).

The MPA is better for vocals and acoustic guitar IMO. It's airier and maybe more detailed, but also does a great job on bass.

I would think the Eureka is a step up from those two, and then the SPL a step up from that.

You've mentioned a combination of channel strips and pure preamps though. If you want an all-in-one solution, go channel strip, if you're looking for best possible sound at the $ point, then go preamp-only. I think you need to zero in on what you're looking for, then your choices might be a little easier.
  3. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Seriously, this is a BIG HUGE No-Brainer!!

The SPL Gold Mike is a completely different (and FAR superiour) mic pre to ALL of the others listed.

The MPA is a good pre and the RME stuff is fine.

All of the other stuff....I just don't think so.

I like the Aphex 107, but I haven't been that impressed by the 207D as of yet. Though I've only used it once.

4. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2001
    But aren't all mic pres the same? :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll:
  5. Groff

Groff Active Member

Jul 18, 2004
    SPL Gain Station. Absolute amazing for $.
  6. aphid

aphid Guest

for use with vocals primarily, i like the groove tubes brick, and I can generally talk any sales guy down to $300 on them.

To my knowledge, its a class a true tube pre. this with an rnc compressor is one hell of a vocal chain. If you bought either, I don't think you'd regre it.