1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Preamps and compression

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by ad0lescnts, Apr 30, 2002.

1. ad0lescnts

ad0lescnts Guest

what are your guys' thoughts... preamp before compression, or compression before preamp??? thanks

Tyler

2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Mostly one would use a Pre-amp to preamplify a low level signal up to a standard or high level.

This signal could then be fed into line level devices which may include a Compressor.

If the compressor is a Foot Pedal (stomp box) compression for guitar then you would use it before the pre-amp.

I supose if you were to use the pre-amp as a distortion you might feed the compressor into the pre-amp.

If it sounds good ... do it. :w:

3. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Doesn't the Manley VoxBox put compression before the preamp, or at least some of the preamp gain? The only exception to the rule I'm aware of.

Bear

4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

I don't know the Manley in detail so I shouldn't comment.

Take a different box the LA2a.
    It has so much level available in it at both the input and the make-up that it could almost be viewed as a pre-amp.

It is not a pre-amp though and in most cases the input is heavily attenuated then in hits the opto and then through the make-up. As I said the make-up has so much gain it could look like a pre-amp.

If it sounds good .. do it!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Most compressors won't get enough gain from a mic level signal to work effectively. Usually you will need a preamp first to get the signal to line level. It is true that the VoxBox lets you put the compressor first in the chain, but I don't own one, and I'm not sure how they make that work.

6. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

The pre-amp is probably first up and then you can chose what is next, like comp or EQ .. as I said I don't have a Manley so I haven't flipped the lid to find out.