1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Preamps for under 1k

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by fontenel, Jun 3, 2003.

1. fontenel

fontenel Guest

Hey guys/gals. I have a modest home studio and I'm looking to get a good solid-state pre for around 1k. I own a hhb radius 40 and a 50 (both tube) and a joe meek vc6, but I'd like something better. The hhbs are ok on most stuff, but when recording 'heavier' guitars (which I do a lot) they are way to bright and brittle. I've had people tell me to look into Summit, Grace, FMR, etc. Also, I've found new API 512s online for about $700 and I've heard alot of good things about API, too. I'm just not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeffrey

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Check out the Speck MicPre 5.0. There is a review of it here http://www.recording.org/e-mag/
    and some sound samples in the Audio Projects Streaming Critique forum.
    (Dead Link Removed)

3. Bobby Loux

Bobby Loux Active Member

jeffery,

if you need a stereo pre go with the FMR RNP as I'm very happy with mine (lots of headroom despite what folks say about its power supply) no color, very clean would be a good mate to your colorful tube pre's..the Grace is cool, but for less $$ the RNP gives you 2 channels of the same transparancy as the Grace sound.

I demo'd the Speck and indeed was impressed with its sound..1 channel, very clean and at a grand. (I chose the RNP as I needed a stereo clean pre) I felt i would never use the specks special mix features so I'd rather pay for what i needed...the nice thing about the speck, for another $500.00 you can pick up the ASC EQ that goes with it (making it a one rack pre/EQ channel strip) vry cool.

good luck