1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pre's & Converters in Banks of 8.

Discussion in 'Converters & Interfaces' started by jscott, Nov 19, 2001.

1. jscott

jscott Guest

For the sake of debate, I know it starts with tuning, player, placement, etc. The focus of this thread is 100% drums in banks of 8. Budget is negotiable, but lets assume you have $10,000 total. Do you keep some money, or spend it?

True Systems Precision 8 vs. Grace 801 vs. Presonus M80

Is the Grace worth it over a Precision 8 over a Presonus, etc? Other specific Suggestions? Is the money better spent on the mic, or preamp?

Converters: Give me your thoughts on Lucid ADA 8824 vs. Apogee AD8000 vs. the MOTU 1296. Does cost matter enough to warrent an Apogee for this application?

Are those subtle differences worth the cost in this case? It would seem most of the subtle gains get lost going back to the CD.

DAW Soft: Logic Plat 4.8
    Interface: 2408mkII ADAT or TDIF

TLM193's, TLM103's OH
    SM-81's OH & Toms
    C-418's, Beta98's, Rack Toms
    421's F.Tom
    Beta52 & D112 Kik,
    57 & Beyer M101

Anyone use the on resonant kick outside?

2. Scott Gould

Scott Gould Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Pt. Charlotte FL
    Check out the Crane Song Spider. 8 mic preamps, 8x2 mixer, A/D on all 8 channels & master, analog tape saturation simulation controlable per channel. World class unit.

3. sjoko

sjoko Guest

The Grace's are worth it, clear, transparent, and good for anything not just drums. They will still be like that many years in the future.

Regarding the converters, save your money, the Lucid is by far the best of that bunch.

The mics - what that a question? Or what you have?
  4. jscott

jscott Guest

Originally posted by sjoko:
    The mics - what that a question? Or what you have?

What I have - thanks.
  5. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Spider and buy a Royer SF-12 for overheads with the change.

The Ribbon on the kick adds sub bass - very often unavailable on an inside kick mic.IMHO.
  6. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Bloomington, IL
    You could also consider an API rack for drums. A lot of people love them for drums. I'm saving in that direction now.