Pressing 24/96 files to vinyl

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Dr. Fuse, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Dr. Fuse

Dr. Fuse Active Member

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for opinions, but...

I've just completed sessions recording the 44 Bartok Duos for Two Violas. Very good performances (I yam one of duh violists ;) ), and decent recordings.

Since this is a self-produced venture, and since I am a vinyl junkie, I am thinking about making the hi-res files available for download, and pressing onto vinyl.

BUT PRESSING DIGITAL SOURCES TO VINYL?!?

My recent acquisitions of the White Album and the Velvet Underground's Banana album are just ridiculous CDs pressed onto vinyl, whereas the reissue of the Kinks' Muswell Hillbillies sounds very good; classic vinyl depth of sound, but with an immaculate, silent pressing.

What are your thoughts? This is a VERY fringe "product", so I am not dreaming of huge sales. Something like 150 LPs sold at $20 would cover the cost.

But is it just stupid to press digital to vinyl? I hear both sides to the argument...

2. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

I've heard plenty of digital recordings pressed on vynal sound good. This is definitely a job for a mastering engineer. You may have to make some adjustment to the mix particularly concerning the Low end. Since it's just violas that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I haven't paid more than $10ea for the few independent records I've bought on the past few years. And you don't press digital per say, you convert back to analog on its way to the cutting lathe, then the master is created, and the copies stamped out.

I say go for it if you have the extra money, because it'd probably be pretty cool.!!!!

3. Dr. Fuse

Dr. Fuse Active Member

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING RECORDS FOR $10?!?! But I'm from Canada, the true north strong and expensive... ;)

Good point about not pressing digital!

And yes, the motivating factor is I would think it really cool to have a vinyl LP! :)

kmetal likes this.
  4. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

... From the merch table lol. Think punk rock ethos here. Lol

5. Dr. Fuse

Dr. Fuse Active Member

But of course. Except my Mexican Power Authority LP cost me $19.99!!! :p

6. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Nothing beats the warm sound of vinyl....way better headroom. violas would sound teriffic on vinyl I say...go for it.

Check out this link from here in Australia...vinyl sales have doubled here in the last 12 months, its interesting reading.

Check out the video of the band The Seven Ups who have just released an album on vinyl.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-04/meme-infection-keeping-vinyl-records-alive-music-sales/6370080

7. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

I think that this needs to be clarified a bit...

Just because music is on vinyl does not mean it will automatically sound better, warmer, richer, smoother, ( pick your own adjective).... There are a slew ( no pun intended) of other factors that determine the fidelity; the quality of the TT, the stylus, the amp, the speakers, even the grade of the vinyl...

All of which can end up costing a small fortune to put together - yet, it is required, if you want to truly experience the sound of a quality recording on vinyl.

I have a virgin vinyl copy of Steely Dan's Aja', arguably one of the best-sounding vinyl albums ever released ( I'm referring to the fidelity in this example - the quality of the performances goes without saying, and, I know there are many other albums that also share this distinction, so put your fists down)...

But, if I were to play it on a cheap system, it wouldn't sound any better in fidelity than The Chipmunks Christmas Album, or, my personal favorite, Huckleberry Hound Goes West. ;)

FWIW

8. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I agree...And FWIW I was referring to vinyl being played on a high end system as a given.
    Also, IMHO if the quality of the vinyl is poor then its really not worth listening to/playing as it would defeat the purpose.
    Give me a well recorded / mixed / mastered vinyl LP in good condition with no scratches, warps etc played through a high quality turntable / amp / speaker combo any day over a CD.
    There is something about the sound that just cannot be replicated with digital which I feel has a cold feel to it when compared to good vinyl.