1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pressing Vinyl

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by ferociousj, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ferociousj

ferociousj Active Member

I have an album thats about 20 minutes long that I want to get pressed. Has anyone had this done before and can anyone recommend a company to press it for me? I'm only looking to have like 15-20 records pressed. Does anyone know what a ballpark price would be for this?

2. Greener

Greener Guest

I'd suggest a 12" 45rpm record with 10 mins per side for the best loudness and quality. Pressing costs almost nothing, just a few bucks per record. It's getting the masters cut that costs.

To get the masters cut, you're looking at about $500-$1000.

You can save by getting a 7" disc cut, but even at 33rpm you're only going to get a maximum of 8mins per side and at 7" 33rpm, anything longer than 5 mins per side sounds really lo-fi.

7" masters are usually about 2/3rds the cost of 12".

Oh, and watch out for sharks overseas who say they can press and ship it to you for nix... Vinyl has ridiculous import taxes on it unless it's a floor covering, at least it does in this country (Australia). Also, I've heard stories from people who have had records made in "bloc" type places in Europe and they suck.

3. ferociousj

ferociousj Active Member

Jesus $500-$1000.

Thats hardly worth it for a limited run...