1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Prevent latency, USB controller/channel

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ohm-ish, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ohm-ish

ohm-ish Active Member

Hi

Like many others, I want to achieve the least amount of latency etc., using a USB sound interface.

My computer has various USB ports/controllers. 2 x USB2 - 2 x USB3 - 2 x USB3 front.

I believe someone said it is best to keep the sound interface on it's own separate USB controller/channel on the computer, to prevent latency/interferences.
    In other words, not sharing the sound interface USB lane with other peripherals.

Is this still advisable today?

And, could I buy an extra USB i/o card to get another separate USB lane?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Interfacing via USB is not the best way of minimising latency. Direct PCI/PCIe will always give lower latency, and even FireWire on a PCIe card will give lower latency than USB, even if the transfer rates are lower. Having said that, a motherboard that has USB3 capability will probably give you sub-millisecond latencies, but try to avoid having other peripherals on USB ports sharing the same controller channel.

3. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Also, audio latency as a lot more to do with drivers and buffer adjustments and software that runs in the background (antivirus etc..)

4. ohm-ish

ohm-ish Active Member

pcrecord: Yeah I'm trying to optimize every bit I can, incl. those things.
    Boswell: PCI card.. hm I actually thought that was history in favor of usb/firewire. Must check up on it. I remember RME cards

5. ohm-ish

ohm-ish Active Member

Ok, looking at the total price for a PCI solution far exceeds my budget.
    So I'll stick with USB for now, and just optimize it best I can
    Thanks