1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pro Tool HD converters vs Fireface 800 converters

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by audiokid, Oct 31, 2011.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Just curious if anyone has done the comparison between the sound quality of Pro Tools HD converters and a RME FireFace 800?

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

While that question may be academic one must also consider this: as professional as AVID claims to be, they will not provide you with any documentation regarding their lousy microphone preamp's in their stuff. I find nothing professional about that aspect of them, which is basically their equipment. And although I have no RME gear, I might imagine they'll show you the schematic for their microphone preamp? I've just never been impressed by secret blab blab proprietary BS. There isn't anything proprietary in their stuff & no reason why they shouldn't supply schematics. I'm a professional technician and I want to be able to fix it when it blows up thank you. So I say thank God for non-hardware necessary Pro Tools 9 and beyond. I'd say go with the RME and number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9.

Actually I thought it was kind of funny as one of the things they were demonstrating about ProTools 10 was that it was doing real-time fades, now, without having to render thousands of little files! Wow! Sony Vegas & CD Architect has been able to do that for the past 10 years. And they're proud of that now? Like I said, I found aspects of the AES rather humorous. Sews how about an Apogee? But if you want Mike preamps? How many? Maybe I should go watch some Outer Limits reruns?

I am controlling vertical. I am controlling the horizontal. Whoops.
    Mx. Remy Ann David