1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pro Tools 888 vs other 8 ch A/D converters

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by jeronimo, Oct 30, 2001.

1. jeronimo

jeronimo Guest

Which A/D converters with 8 or more channels are out right now? Which one do you guys recomend? I know about the:
    - Alesis AI-3 ($400) - this one might suck :)

2. Check out Mark Of the Unicorn. Used to have ehh.. was it MOtU 8812? or something. That piece was excellent.

3. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

My advice: Stick with Digi's 24 bit 888. Affordable, and almost everyone has one, so if you run into trouble, support is everywhere.

4. bluebass

bluebass Guest

jeronimo writes:
    Any more converters to add to the list?

Mytek 8x96, supposed to be very good... big dollars though!

Tim L

5. bassmac

bassmac Guest

Now I see where all the DUC'ers went. ;)

You still using the 001? Ok, then get the REM ADI-8 Pro. Serious bang for the buck! DA is important to have if you ever want to use outboard processing. You can also monitor your mixes through the DA too instead of the 001, which makes a big difference.

:cool:

6. planet red

planet red Active Member

Even the alesis AI 3 is supposedly a tiny bit better then the converters on the 001. If you're not in the market for anything really high dollar maybe you should get the Alesis with a lucid clock (which will improve your whole set up) and later when you have more money get the lucid 8 channel and not take a huge loss since you only spent 400 on the alesis. Plus then you'd still have an awesome master clock which with the lucid its supposed to rock. I was looking into the rme stuff awhile ago before i decided on the spider and heard from a lot of people its not too much better then the motu converters.

Good luck in your search.

7. Originally posted by jeronimo:
    - RME ADI-8 Pro ($1.3K) - heard good things and is affordable
    - Lucid 8824 ($2.5K) - heard good things... a little out of range

I understand the Lucid is far superior (I own three of them, my partner has an RME at his house), and the most I've ever seen it for is $2150.

mb

8. Originally posted by jeronimo:
    - RME ADI-8 Pro ($1.3K) - heard good things and is affordable
    - Lucid 8824 ($2.5K) - heard good things... a little out of range

I think the Lucid is far superior, and the most I've ever seen them for is $2150.

mb

9. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Maybe Planet Red can help me with a question I asked on another thread? I am thinking of the Spider as a front end for an 888/24. The question is, does one have the option of using the Spider converters without going through the mic preamps (e.g. a line input alternative) in case I want to use the converters with different mic pres? I know the CraneSong pre's rock, but I might want to take advantage of the Spider converters with different coloration preamp (no sense throwing out my whole collection), or use them while inputting a line level signal into ProTools.

10. Scott Gould

Scott Gould Active Member

I've been wondering the same thing about the Spider - when mine gets here I'll know. If I remember correctly there are channel inserts which will allow you to bring in signals post pre.

Scott

11. jeronimo

jeronimo Guest

I made a mistake, I was looking at the wrong model of the Lucid 8824, the ADAT version is aroun $2100. The Spider might be awsome, BUT, again, far away from my reach. Isn't it around $6k? Yes bassmac, I still have the 001, unfortunatelly, but one day I'll get there :) ! I was looking around and I found the HHB nanosync (or something like this), and it has WC outs and SPDIF outs as well... so, it might owrk perfect with the 001 and a converter with WC in right?

12. brad

brad Guest

13. anonymous

anonymous Guests

'You can also monitor your mixes through the DA too instead of the 001, which makes a big difference.'- Bassmac

I think that is very important, good point!

:)

Jules

14. jeronimo

jeronimo Guest

I would like to add the following:
    - Panasonic WZ AD96 (I don't know the price)
    - db Technology M AD824 (Don't know the price either) - This one looks cool, because you can build your conversor 2 channels at a time.

c'mon guys... comments

15. Greg Malcangi

Greg Malcangi Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the best ADC I've ever heard. The Prism Dream ADA-8. The only downside is that it lists at over $9k!

Greg

16. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I stood next to 7 of them last week!

At a hire Co here in london

MEGABUCKS!

:)

17. jeronimo

jeronimo Guest

Well... I'm glad I didn't mention a $9K one :)

18. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Originally posted by Tim_L:
    Mytek 8x96, supposed to be very good... big dollars though!

The Mytek 8x96 ADC is far better than the Apogee 'Special Edition' IMO (and the Mytek is also 96K, the AD8000 is not) for 40% of the price of the Apologee SE Model, and it also comes standard with AES. $350 a channel really isn't much when it comes to world class quality. Really great people behind the scenes too.

19. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

...Now i feel massively inferior....my up- grade on my system was to include an 001 factory (cheap plugin package)and some pres to offset my soundcrafts pres....i know there are better ad/da converters out there than the digi's...but $9K???thats two avalons and a couple of good used mics...i gotta go get a scotch and think this all through again...of course unlike a lot of you i'm only doing my stuff and my bands...no clients...any suggestions? (the upgrade also includes a fine amd/athalon drive 'puter in a stripped down os config. as a stand alone unit)...BTW. i am a tape head...thus the analog stuff... :roll:

20. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Dave,

You definitely don't need a $1125 per channel digital conversion system to make great music, or even have great sound. The most important part of the path is going to be the room and players (and instrument or amp quality of the players) and then the mics and preamps. A/D is very important, but if you have weak links in the front end stay with your 001 A/D and get some nice mics and preamps that you know in your gut are going to deliver truly great sound. You will find yourself fighting less to get good mixes because the better it is going into the multitrack the easier it is come time to put it all together. My point above was that you can be closer (IMO) to something on the level of a Prism for 33% of the cost, as opposed to not as close for 75% of the cost (Apologee SE). YOMV.