1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pro Tools 9 Release from Hardware Dependancy- At long LONG LAST!

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by hueseph, Nov 4, 2010.

1. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

If you are a home recording enthusiast or even a professional recording engineer, this news is for you.

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER! YES! LED ZEPPELIN ARE NOW BACK TOGETHER AND ARE ASKING ONE OF YOU TO RECORD THEIR NEXT ALBUM!! That and ProTools is now available for any Core Audio or ASIO compatible interface.

Okay, okay, I lied. Led Zeppelin aren't together and they're not looking for you to record their next album. On the other hand it looks as though ProTools is now compatible with any Core Audio or ASIO interface. YES! Even ProTools HD Native!

Don't believe me? Check this out. Under Hardware Interface Support, sub heading- Third Party.

Looky there. Now there is an obvious mistake as there is no way that ProTools HD would be available to third party hardware and not HD Native. They got these switched.

Errors aside. This is HUGE news. It is very unlikely that I will buy a full boxed version of ProTools 9 but I might be convinced to get a replacement for my current MBox along with a copy of PT9. That would be ok.

And for all of you people who have been waiting so freakin' long.........A D C!

FINALLY!

For AVID this is a breakthrough. Yes it is! For the rest of the audio world, it's ten years late. Still, better late than never.

More Details.

2. hueseph

And of course, there is video.

3. hueseph

So to get back to the other threads that I posted in the past. Yes the ones complaining that AVID was and is ripping off it's customers by forcing them to buy HD units, knowing full well that they would become obsolete. Well. Thousands of dollars has now been reduced to $629us for FULL ProTools 9. Yeah. Sorry guys. We know you bought our hardware in trust.

I don't want to bash them. I really think this is a GREAT move. Yes, I am very excited about this. But, that thing with the HD "blowout" was a bit low.

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Pro Tools 9

Well, what do you know! How could this be possible?

Lets get this right...

I can now buy Pro Tools 9 for $600.00 ( that will work exactly as the HD systems without the tag along hardware) and access it via RME , Lavry, Lynx etc and it will work? It will join the rest of the world?

If so, I will now buy Pro Tools and enjoy as I do Sequoia, Sonar and Reaper. Great news that I didn't expect :rolleyes:. Can you imagine just paying all that cash over the last 2 years for an HD system and hearing this! ROTF. Now its going to get interesting. DAW wars begins!

audiokid

5. hueseph

You are correct sir. I was second guessing myself but it is absolutely what you think it is. Full ProTools. NOT LE or M-Powered. Available for all interfaces. You will like PT9 if it is at all like PT8, which from what I hear it basically is the same without the hardware requirement. There are some limitations with Plugins of course. ONLY native plugins and no HEAT plugin. Hopefully, dropping the hardware dependancy will eliminate many of the problems they were having with ProTools 8(none of which I personally experienced).

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Pro Tools 9

Right on I say!

I killed my Pro Tools Ripoff Blog last week because I felt I was creating resentment with friends and members here. It circulated around the planet, we all now no it was spot on almost to the day.

I still am in shock but it was pretty obvious they were going to dive if they didn't make this move so timely. Most of you who are stuck with this dated hardware have no idea how you've been led ( ya you do, no you don't) but you also paved the way for Avid to build a really incredible software.So, a big thank you to the 100 thousand supporters.
    So this is great news. I think I will wait for Pro Tools 10 before I will actually trust this. I'm expecting bugs but who knows, if it works great, I'm in soon.

The video is still BS though, claiming they are the best sounding system. That's far from the truth but I guess it depending what side of the wall you are sitting on. PT is the most popular and most supported but not the best sounding. The configuration of your system and skills would be more accurate IMO.

I definitely don't need 180 plug-ins. What a quagmire that is , but there are some good ones for sure. Hybrid is the way "I go" and a big cheers for those hardware companies building the real stuff that see it coming. Others smothered from this can now bloom. This next decade is going to be awesome. I believe we are heading towards a good place in pro audio now. It feels like the "Wall" just came down and Pink Floyd in singing.

So I have Sequoia 11 that is only software and costs $3000 USD. Pro Tools 9 is $600 USD. This should be interesting indeed!

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

hmm, and then there is Reaper for 50 bucks that still blows my mind. Where is everyone?
    :confused:

I think we should rename that title Hue. Its just too quite around here. Wait until all the women find out lol.

8. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I would be willing to relearn PT if I can use my own hardware. I bailed on PT when I left the Corps and the DoD wasn't buying my studio rig. That was also the last time I worked on a Mac but that is another story entirely. I'll have to check it out when I finish up the five concerts I have to produce.

9. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

This is great news for me. I've been nursing my 002R along for a while (6-7? years). This will allow me to upgrade to a better interface and run Samplitude as well as PT. The one big complaint - still 32 bit (64 bit machine compatible). No doubt that means an upgrade down the road and another chunk of change.

10. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

Before everybody gets all aroused and jumps for joy:

This is not yet playing in the same league like Sequoia, Nuendo or even their own HW based Alsihad...
    Look at its latency compensation, ..yaawwwn, .......... Track count Audio/Midi... snore............ max I/Os........... still only RTAS and audio suite plugins usable...sucks

I have edited this, since the specs for PT9 have changed. To what exactly, I could not find on their site,yet..Maybe a little later...

11. BobRogers

No doubt you are right for people using HD systems. A step forward, but not a huge one. For LE users (or anyone at weekend warrior equipment level where high track counts and max I/Os are not really an issue) this creates a lot of flexibility.

12. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

Still, have a look at the costs for RTAS plugins compared to VST versions. Those are usually over a third more expensive..
    What is the actual latency compensation, now? It used to be about 4000 samples. If it hasn't improved, you don't get anywhere with that...
    From what I've seen on the video, it is still at ~ 4k.

Anyway, the new version 9 is step forward for them. I'll give them that...
    Competitors need to watch out....

Ahhh, just found it.. http://www.avid.com/us/products/family/Pro-Tools/compare

Still not impressed....

13. TheJackAttack

And if it isn't 64bit based programming then I'm not interested at all. That is ridiculous since all current machines are 64bit and to properly utilize larger ram counts the programming should be 64bit as well.

14. BobRogers

There is a lot of speculation that they went 32 bit to get it out in time for AES. The only reason I'd jump on the purchase right now is if I wanted to get a new interface in this tax year. Have to take a look and crunch some numbers. Otherwise I think I'll wait for 64 bit.

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

They are preparing :tongue: the HD crowd for the impact lol. Do you think? :cool: Its the beginning of the end of HD

drip by drip.

Sell Sell Sell hehe

16. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Or, another clever injection to hook more people. Its very clever marketing for sure. Good eye on this Rainer.

17. TheJackAttack

They shouldn't have to jump to get to AES. 64 bit has been the way of computers Apple or Windows for several years. If AVID didn't drag their collective knuckles beside their collective heels they might have realized that. 64 bit compatible doesn't count for crap when it comes to computer resources. As to track counts, that doesn't bother me so much. As a classical location engineer I would be appalled if I maxed out 96 sticks. Sheesh, if I get the microphones right I don't even have to edit a mix anymore really. I think I'll just stick with Audition3 and learning Reaper.

18. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

OT... Tell Apple to finally release a 64-bit QuickTime version.... Those are sound asleep or simply after annoying most PC users doing audio to picture work ...

19. TheJackAttack

Apple is also in their own little fairy land. It's just they make a better overall product than Digi-Avid. Apple seems to really want to stay firmly planted in a pro-sumer category hence things like 32bit Quicktime.

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I used to be so Apple, as I was so Pro Tools. I was superior being one of the most pro studios in the North of British Columbia.

Those two platforms cost a lot of extra money but I felt it was worth it. You get what you pay for right?
    It also was simple to setup. Pay the 50 grand ( by the time you had 4 10,000 RPM cheeta HD, Burners, scsi accel cards, farms, HD monitors and the latest Mac's. It was basically a turn key system, you think? . But I had no idea what the interface was really about and how it was always one step behind. . All I knew and cared about is that I needed it to make it all work, and it worked. All these incredible plug-ins WOW! were the best ever, but wait... it always sound rash but I refused to believe this. I just sold all my analog gear. This was 1999.
    Then I started RO and began the DAW generation. We started building forums here and more and more people came to see what all the buzz was about. The DUC was bias and RO was everyone else. Some days we had 1000 members sign up! We watched the big studios demise as we stood firm that Pro Tools was king and all the big studios would die in the next 5 years . We talked more and more, learning how to do it and then fix the raspy mess that we refused to believe was our Pro Tools systems. More and more people bought into it.
    We all felt confident we've made the right decision. Pro Tools is the best, look how much it costs compared to PC junk! A few years later I was invited to Bryan Adams stellar The Warehouse Studios. I sat here and talked to an engineer that only used Pro Tools for editing. We talked a lot about the business, recording and plug-ins. When I returned home and started listening to my pro tools system I began re thinking it all.

I soon realized I was way off course and had invested at least $25,000 too much in wasted Pro Tools Hardware money. That was in 2002. I should have been investing in preamps and mics and bought a custom built PC and one of those $500 DAW systems for certain.

I think Mac is way over priced and PC's are returning in a big way. I definitely think Pro Tools dependent hardware systems are done long ago and those bought into it today are the sad tag followers. The writing is on the wall. There is just too much out there being made that isn't over inflated corporate shareholder. These smaller boutique companies are making the real stuff that is worth investing in. Pro Tools HD is a big topic filled with a lot of emotion, fear and big investment. You'll never get an unbiased answer from those who have invested big buck in it. That's for certain.

I'm rambling... but I'm also excited because I definitely love the software.