1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pro Tools HD minus proprietary I/O

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by bhuvan, Mar 4, 2004.

1. bhuvan

bhuvan Active Member

I've heard that the new pro tools systems won't have it compulsory to use at least one HD audio I/O.

can any one confirm this? is this just a rumour?

i'm planning to purchase the HD2 system and was thinking of getting the Prism ADA Dream. Now if this is true, then i'd like to run only the Prisms.

Also - is it possible for me to run the system without the digidesign sync I/O? i was thinking of using the rosendahl nanosyncs instead.

2. TomMaag

TomMaag Guest

I don't know about the PRISM...but the new apogee's can be connected directly to Pro Tools HD or mix systems.

3. bhuvan

bhuvan Active Member

but for this you need to use the 192 I/O which has the expansion slot, right? is there a way that i can do the same with the 96 I/O?

also, with new systems, will i need to use a digidesign I/O at all?

4. Duardo

Duardo Guest

Prism has a card you can add to their converter that connects directly to the HD cards, and Apogee has one coming out as well. They were reverse-engineered without Digidesign's consent, so don't expect any support from them if something doesn't work, but they should work out just fine.

You can connect them to the 96I/O via ADAT Lightpipe, but that'll limit you to 48 khz. The 192 digital I/O will give you sixteen channels with the capability of running at higher sampling rates.

-Duardo

5. bhuvan

bhuvan Active Member

thanks.

i spoke to prism sound after this and they confirmed that i can plug in directly to the HD cards minus the digi I/Os.

also they have that DSD module which looks like an easy upgrade option for SACD recordings on Pro Tools itself.