1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pro Tools Plugins - Audiosuite or RTAS?

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by DJ FADE, Jul 6, 2005.

1. DJ FADE

DJ FADE Guest

i'm wondering which plugins are generally used in real time and which ones make use of audiosuite and permanently change the file - i don't run any outboard gear, so all the compression, eqs, etc are all done via plugins. any opinions are appreciated. thanks,

brandon

2. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Well, I only really commit to AS when I'm running out of CPU and need to free-up some juice.

I always run my verbs and delays as rtas because there are usually multiple sources hitting them.

If you use an AS, always make a duplicate of the track first so that you can easily revert to the un-treated track if needed.

Hope this helps,

Chris

3. DJ FADE

DJ FADE Guest

thanks chris, that does help a lot. when you said that there are multiple sources hitting the verbs/delays, do you use buses to route different tracks through each? and could you give me an example of how this works and which tracks you would do this for?

also, i would like to use all RTAS, but for some reason i was having some problems. i had recorded a couple acoustic guitar parts and had added some RTAS compression, reverb, eq, etc to the guitars. when i had the vocalist in to record the vocals, they would record fine, but then they'd show up a little bit off of time, because of latency issues. i took off the plugins, re-recorded, and the audio tracks were right on. i should have enough processing power, i just built a brand new daw with all the bells and whistles. any help with this? thanks again,

brandon