1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Problems with interface and preamp

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by microphonen00b, Aug 16, 2011.

1. microphonen00b

microphonen00b Active Member

May 16, 2011
    Have you ever been so frustrated you wanted to pull your own hair out? Because that's how I feel now!! :mad:
    I got a Tascam FW-1804 interface, and a Behringer MIC 2200 preamp a few days ago, all for $200. They were working great! I checked every inputs with a few different mics, and they were all fine. So I had my 2 Apex 185s, a and my Shure SM57 plugged in to it just now, for some testing, and I noticed the SM57 wasn't picking up. So I switched inputs, and it worked fine.
    FYI, the Tascam has 4 mic/line inputs, and 4 line ins. I had the Apex plugged into 1 and 3, and the SM57 in channel 2. Turns out that channel 2 and 4 pick up either nothing, or BARELY anything (when the trim, headphones knob, AND speaker are turned all the way up!) So I tried line 5 and 6, to which my preamp is hooked up. Nothing, unless I actually tapped on the mic. Then it picked that up, but absolutely no voices. So I lugged my preamp into my speaker. turned up the knobs, and played around a little bit, and got channel 1 to work okay, but channel 2 is still almost nothing. Once again, it picks up tapping, but when everything's turned all the way up, it sounds like...well the best way I can describe it is like when you take a REALLY cheap mic (like one built in to a monitor, or just a small plug in one), and hold it in your fist, and speak through your fist like a tube, so the sound is really low and it sounds like a bus announcer (haha I can never understand them.) But REALLY quiet!
    Only yesterday, they were both working perfectly. Except a little ground hum, of course.
    Now I'm sad :( Any help available? I hope I gave as much information as possible...I told you the whole story.
    The ONLY difference I can tell is that last nigh and this morning I soldered some of my own XLR cables...I had an 100 ft. cable, and I cut it into pieces of 15 (and one of 10) and soldered on my own Neutrik connectors. That shouldn't be a problem though...I tried them in every configuration I could, and they all work fine.

PLEASE help if you can :smile:
  2. microphonen00b

May 16, 2011
    Please help :( it's line 2, 4, and 6. Very weird.
  3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Prince George, BC
    Home Page:
    as soon as I see the word Behringer I think, poor guy. Behringer doesn't belong in the pro audio world. I know that didn't help but just saying...
  4. microphonen00b

May 16, 2011
    Actually (after I did a little tweaking) ironically it's NOT the Behringer that's the problem :p It just turns out that inputs 2, 4, 6, and 8 are all funky. Which I find is a weird coincidence...maybe it's not a coincidence. That means it's fix-able.
    And I know, I know, it's just what I have for now.
    Do you think you have any idea what's wrong? It's definitely the Tascam, because it's getting signal, just not sending it to the speaker. I even plugged the Behringer straight into the speaker. It's fine.