1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Processing Power

Discussion in 'Computing' started by omynys1, Mar 9, 2010.

1. omynys1

omynys1 Guest

Many people say that the most important part of an audio set up (especially the complicated DAW Pro Tools HD) is processing power. Without ample processing power, you will be left only wishing you could use the plug ins you bought.

Digi designs solution is processing cards, providing 900 mhz of power each. These cards are damn expensive.

What are some of your solutions?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

My solution is to stay away from Digi.

If you are stuck with Digi already and need to farm stuff to another DSP then I believe the HD systems have an ADAT something or other that you could send the data out and bring it back in.

3. omynys1

omynys1 Guest

I'm looking to keep everything digital, so I don't think that is what I'm looking for. I think what I'm wishing for is ubuntu compatability. So that way I could build a cluster. But ATM, i don't give a damn about learning how to build a cluster.

Is there anything that would give me more processing power, like a cluster, but would work with windows xp. It is my understanding that this is called cloud computing.

4. TheJackAttack

Not that works with Digi. Digi is your limiting factor.

5. omynys1

omynys1 Guest

I bet the guy who owns digi is a big fatso... either that or the guys who own microsoft and macantosh... big old fat slobs...

6. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

yeah, let's push them all into the girls bathroom after math class!!

7. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Define expensive and fat. I use ProTools LE and Samplitude and have used Cubase,Tracktion and Acid in the past. I did invest in a dsp card which helps to alleviate the load but in all a well configured current CPU should be able to handle a fairly large track count. You see the limit but you haven't reached it yet. What are you trying to get at here?

8. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Wow?!
    Cloud computing, ubuntu compatibility??....I could build a cluster??...WindowsXP....??!!!
    Either you're just really confused about something and all over the place and don't know what you're talking about or there's actually some point to this thread?
    You continue using terms that mean nothing in context and still haven't asked a meaningful question here, other than your frustrated?
    And then after the terminology spew, you go off on a digital technology rant, but want to keep everything digital??
    Not trying to be negative at all here....but is there actually something you want help with or is this just a rant? I'm confused now?
    Maybe a little info on your system would be a clue...maybe buy a vowel....maybe you need to setup a PlayStation Unix cluster and see if that will suffice for your needs whatever those are?

9. TheJackAttack

I'm sure he read an article about a DSP farm or something. I agree that a properly configured computer ought to be able to handle high track counts with ease. It's the properly configured part that's hard especially if one has built their own machine via spec sheets only.

10. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

Yeah!!! I'm in, freaking fat slobs.....I'm against everyone who ain't jus' like me. And I'm anti-semantic.

11. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. So if you are not a fat slob who likes math you'd better be looking over your shoulder every few minutes. Fat mathematicians are sneaky.

12. omynys1

omynys1 Guest

I obviously don't want a dsp card because they dont work with digi......

In a perfect world I would have a mother board with 6 bagillion processor slots, and 12 thousand pci slots, so that I would be turning out so many tera flops, I would be able to eq stuff 16 thousand times.

Ooooooooooooooooor........ A pro tools ubuntu compatability.... so i could use a cluster, and just build the cluster.

13. TheJackAttack

roflmao

14. TheJackAttack

Ok big guy. Build it. It's not needed in the professional world but it might be your Field of Dreams. You might be the critical mass that sends Ubuntu into global domination! Why, if only the military industrial complex had something like that available to them back when McCarthy was emperor.

15. boxcar

boxcar Active Member

o.k. maybe it's time for someone to straighten me out, i must be missing the point?
    i've never used protools or digi. or macs so i just don't know anything about that platform.

i have a home built dedicated machine.
    an athlon 3500 processor
    triton motherboard
    blue thunder power supply
    78000 rpm raptor drive
    only 2 gigs of ram
    Xp home

my average project size before i got more into outboard gear was about 35 to 40 tracks on average.
    i would run track e.q's on pretty much every track
    i would have approx.20 /25 plugs going on top of that(waves,renesance,tc electronics...ect.
    comps/reverbs/delays/de-essers/gates and more that i can't even remember.

i have a 48 track project that we jam to and record 6 more of our vocal and instrument tracks simoultaniously to it with all those plugs going.
    i never have to reboot,nuendo never freezes up, i tell it what to do ,it does it.
    and now im also using convolution effects.

i guess what im asking is how much power does a guy need, especially if you have some outboard.
    and what's wrong with protools and/or mac that it's always running out of plug power.
    mine is by no means a huge computer, i've heard things like quad 4 and 10 gigs of ram.
    o.k. let me have it.

16. hueseph

Plugins are getting more and more complex and realistic. ProTools is getting to be more and more of a resource hog. The CPU you are using is antiquated. Single core CPUs simply don't cut it anymore. Not just because of the number of cores but also due to architecture.

ProTools is also very restricted when it comes to hardware and software compatibility.

Regardless, if you are using Nuendo with success, why worry about what the potential is? Stick to what works.

17. boxcar

boxcar Active Member

i'll definitly stick with this system.it it rocks for an antiquated proccessor.lol
    does the better cpu combined with protools sound better? is there an advantage?
    i was just curious.

18. TheJackAttack

There is no advantage to Protools. That just happened to be the DAW that the OP was ranting about. In computer terms, PT is a pig.

19. hueseph

Many of the plugins for ProTools are convolution based. So yes, in my opinion the plugins sound better. If you are using an older version of Nuendo, I would dare say the plugins even for Nuendo have improved also.

20. boxcar

boxcar Active Member

good to know.
    i have 0 info about the mac/protool platform.
    funny thing is just when plug-ins are getting better,i don't really use them anymore.a few gates and
    track e.q's just for hi and low pass.
    i only record my own stuff now and use all outboard with the zed r16.
    but who knows 6 months from now. ha