1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

producing an old radio sound technique

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by ThirdBird, May 9, 2011.

1. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

how would I go about making a soundclip sound like it came from an old fm radio?

how would I add static and make it sound grainy?

any other ideas?

thanks!

2. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

Actually, FM radio isn't really static-y and grainy. AM radio would have been static-y. FM radio often seems compressed to death, and the audio frequency range is more limited (about 50-15kHz).

If you're going for "FM", start there. As for static and grain...there are plug-ins that can add that kind of stuff...as well as record scratches, tape hiss and warble, etc.

Kapt.Krunch

3. Hack

Hack Active Member

iZotope Vinyl - Authentic Lo-Fi Vinyl Simulation for Pro Tools, VST, MAS, Audio Unit, and DirectX audio applications

This is a free plugin for exactly what you want.

4. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

thanks for the links and the help guys!

5. Rude Boy

Rude Boy Guest

Grungelizer

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Your talking AM here I think?

I'm sure the easiest is already mentioned above but I'm a sampling guru from the past and love it all, so I'll tell you what I might do if I had the time.

I'd use a sample of the scatch from the many I have on disc ( emu Planet Phatt as an example) and possibly run a recorded track out to an old radio to give it authentic sound. You know, 5 inch speaker and mic it. Go for the sound as if you were sitting in the room listening to an old RCA radio. There are many ways you can capture that. Or create it with a parametric /notch filter.

Hope that helps. Please tell us what you end up doing?

7. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

I am just looking to make a section of a song sound like its coming out of an old radio.

8. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

This is one of the simplest questions of all. Before 1949 we only had Amplitude Modulated (AM) radio. AM radio had a frequency response of 50-5000 Hz. Cut everything off with a brick wall filter at 5000 Hz. And much of that was done with the announcers on ribbon microphones which had a natural high frequency rolloff of its own. So don't use a condenser microphone but rather an SM58/57. You also want to add a fair amount of slow compression & peak limiting. Throw in the sound of some recordings of heavy wind and process it with heavy flanging for additional background effect and add some small amounts of variable frequency whistling oscillations on top of the flanged wind and you will be thrust back to that lovely WW II radio emulation in the most authentic way.

Also know that Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon but there was another Armstrong that created FM in the 49 MHz band before Neil ever stepped foot on the moon. FM was later repositioned to 88 MHz-108 MHz and only suffered from multipath White noise static at full frequency response to 15 kHz and was inherently low in noise. It was only the loudness wars of the 1960s-90s of rock 'n roll radio on FM that made everything sound grainy from extremely fast release times of the limiters. And most people cannot detect the difference of whether they're listening to a 15 kHz response over a 20 kHz response. Television is also equally limited to 15 kHz in the analog era.

Old radio broad
    Mx. Remy Ann David