1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Professional Recording of a Phone Call for Marketing

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Mike177, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Mike177

Mike177 Guest

I am a complete newbie. I want to make demo of my new phone service, so I can advertise it online. I would greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction... do I need software to do this; do I need a professional to make this recording; do I need some hardware?

Basically, I own a website and a phone service. Think of it as a "talking house tour" that home shoppers access by calling my toll free number. The challenge is that I now need to make a demo of this service online, so I need a recording of what it sounds like when you call the service. I tried calling it via Skype and recording it using software called Pamela, but the file size was 17 MB (yikes!) and when that was compressed the sound quality was horrible. I also asked a technical friend to try it (he is not a sound guy) and he sent me an ok quality recording that was about 2 MB. What I want is a high quality recording of a specific 3:30 minute phone call that will result in around a 3 MB file. This seems possible since this is around the file size of my MP3s of a similar length.

Is this possible? Any suggestion from the experts out there on how to do this for a reasonable cost?

I great appreciate any help someone might provide.

Many thanks,
  2. Link555

Link555 Distinguished Member

Mar 31, 2007
    North Vancouver
    I think you might want to consider hiring a small voice over studio. Do you have actors lined up?
  3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    You can obtain quite a nice recording by recording and/or converting a recording of higher-quality to 16-bit, 11kHz sampling, mono, MP3. Your frequency response will be flat to 5kHz which is 2kHz beyond what the telephone can deliver. It sounds like really good AM radio without the static or interference. I've done this many times. File size will be minuscule quality will be high.

Minuscule and high
    Ms. Remy Ann David