1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

"Professional" studio CD players

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Squaysh, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Squaysh

Squaysh Guest

Hello everyone. I am in the market for a CD player for my rack. I am currently using my computer to listen to CD's and it is not working out. Reason being because all the noise that my CD drive makes while playing back a CD is very distracting and is unacceptable (I use a Powerbook so the additional noise I’m hearing is essentially under my monitors). I have made a habit of uploading music at full quality onto my computer when I want to listen to it to prevent drive noise, which has become a hassle. So, I am asking for your advice. I’d like a decent quality CD player for my rack. I’d like to cut my budget off at around $300. I’d simply like a good quality player that will no bells and whistles. I got advice today that for my price range, a DVD player would work better for my needs being that they are fitted with better converters. How would you all respond to this? I'd appreciate any advice.

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    I think you'll need a CD player that is impervious to the cold of the Windy city. Not really.

Sony, TASCAM, Denon, Newmark all make studio oriented CD players but I think the idea of a DVD player makes a lot of sense since many of them are 24-bit compatible and most can not only play audio CDs but can also play MP3 CDs. A good general-purpose optical disc player. That also makes for a nice 10+ hour long music CD. Good for parties and entertaining. Certainly much longer than needed for making love.

Keep warm!
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Active Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Aurora, ON, Canada
    I cannot recommend a DVD player for CD-only use in the $300 range. You will get a lot better sound from a regular red-book dedicated player for the amount of money that you want to pay. Try NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, Denon, etc.

These are high-end brands that also have some entry level product in the price range you are looking at.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=CAMB540CS&product_name=Azur 540C CD Player
  4. I was in your spot a few years ago. I needed a decent CD player and I wanted it to record. I bought a SONY. It was only about $300 some odd dollars.
    But after 2 or 3 years. I needed something pro. And I ended up buying an Alesis Masterlink. And they are $700 plus.
    My mistake was reaching for the now, (with the cheaper SONY unit) instead of the future, (with an Alesis Masterlink 9600).
    So in hindsight, I spent well over a grand on my CD-R setup, and now I never use my ol' SONY anymore.
    Whatever you do make sure you invest wisely, and buy something you need and still enjoy for more than 4 or 5 years.