1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Protools LE without hardware

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by Michael Kiaer, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Does anyone know of a way to run Protools LE on a Ti Powerbook or iBook without having any Digi hardware present? I would like to be able to work on files (edit, mix) while away from my main setup.

I suppose the new Mbox will allow you to do just that. However, it won't be available for awhile yet and I need to get a working setup by Feb 1.

USB being a lot different than PCI, I wonder if Protools LE 5.2 just does away with the hardware requirement, or if it will require the Mbox to be connected. My point being, of course, that perhaps Protools LE 5.2 (which I think isn't currently available?) might by itself allow me to do what I want to do.

Anyone know the details on this?

2. lwilliam

lwilliam Active Member

I thought I read somewhere on the DUC that once you've booted PTLE with the Mbox attached, you can then disconnect it and keep running.

3. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

I think PT-free should work on your Powerbook, but that is limited to 8 tracks. Don't know if LE requires hardware.

Bear

4. Current LE versions require hardware, but not sure about the version shipping with MBox.
    Allen

5. Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Protools Free will run but there are two problems: it is 5.0 (yuck), and more importantly, it is only 8 track.

And, yes, Mbox will allow me to do what I want but according to one dealer here in New York City, it won't be out until 6-8 weeks from now. I need a working solution by February.

6. JFogarty

JFogarty Guest

You can buy an MBox now at 8th Street for $450.

7. Sir Bob

Sir Bob Member

The M-box has two analog in and outs. I wonder if you can also record through the digital S/PDF in at the same time. I would like to record on at least four tracks at once.

8. It is my understanding that the S/PDIF inputs mirror the input on the analog inputs. IOW, you can't use them in addition to the analog inputs.