1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

ProTools M-Box/External HD

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by chriscali, Dec 19, 2003.

1. chriscali

chriscali Guest

Hi, first time poster here, but avid reader. Quick question. I'm starting to put together a little system to do some live recordings. I currently have an iBook G4 and am planning on doing something like this:

ProTools M-Box
    Soundcraft E-8 mixer/Pre's
    External Firewire HD
    2 AT3032 Omnis

The plan is to do real-time mixing with multiple mics in the future. This seems like a good start to do some stereo recording, but I have a few questions. First, anybody's opinion of the M-Box..I have no access to one to do tests w/ it. Second, can anybody recommend a reliable/fast external firewire HD?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
  2. golli

golli Active Member

Apr 17, 2003
    If you're only using those two mics, to capture the whole band and record from the master (stereo) bus of the Soundcraft. I would get me a Sound Forge 6.0 or 7.0 and Echo Layla 24/96 audiocard.
    Both because you're not using the onboard M-Box micpre's and the Layla 96k conversion, should be smoother than the M-Box's.
    The M-box is plagued with latency and does not excell at anything (suposed to have nice, uncolored micpre's though), its not a realtime multitracker.
    The classical music recording world, relys on fewer channels and higher sample rates than the pop/rock world does(up until now anyway).
    Just my view on it :w:
  3. chriscali

chriscali Guest

Thanks for the reply. It seems the MOTU 828 mkII would be a better option than the Echo Layla would be..?

I'm still pretty comfortable with getting the 2 channel M-Box. At first I'll only be recording stereo but with a mixer I'll be able to add more mics too. It's in my price range. Eventually, I may upgrade to the 002 rack or the motu 828..

I'm concerned about the M-Box latency you describe though. Anyone else experience this?
  4. golli

golli Active Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Well you dont have to worry about the M-Box's latncy, if you're only going to be working with 2 channels, recorded simultaniencly(is this correct spelling).
    This is, maybe a good option, the M-Box that is. But then I would skip the Soundcraft, so as to have as few components in the chain as possible.
    Just out of curiousitty, why would the Motu be a better solution than the Layla?
  5. chriscali

chriscali Guest

Good point about keeping the mixer out of the chain, I figured that way though I could outgrow two mics quicker...also, I don't want to rely on the M-Box micpre's either.

As far as the MOTU v. Layla, I've had my eye on the MOTU for a while, I just don't have the cash to get it at this moment. I just noticed that for the price of the Layla, I may as well just get the MOTU I wanted in the first place! :)