1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Protools or Logic Pro?

Discussion in 'Logic' started by swanmusic, Oct 26, 2005.

1. swanmusic

swanmusic Guest

What is good on Powerbook 1.67GHz with 1.5/2 GB RAM? I want to use a lot of VST plug-ins like EWQL Silver/Platinum. (Oh! does protools have VST support at all?)

Also, do they use Logic in professional/commercial studios?

2. emokidsimon

emokidsimon Guest

Protools will support any VST applications. Logic is a good program if you want to completely mix down your recordings differently to how they sounded when they were recorded.

Most recording studios will use Protools over Logic.

3. macbodock

macbodock Guest

swanmusic,
    I've seen a demo of protools at sweetwater and this software is way nice. I would say protools.

Warmest Regards,

4. iznogood

iznogood Member

neither protools nor logic can use vst....

protools uses rtas..... logic uses audio units...

fxpansion sells software that can be used to (sometimes) convert vst plugs to rtas etc.

as said protools is used in the majority of prostudios....

logic has some nice features for composition and midi work

protools is leading in audio recording/editing/mixing...

5. emokidsimon

emokidsimon Guest

thats true, you need a crack to run VST on Protools, which i found a crack for a while back.

6. iznogood

iznogood Member

don't use the c word in here .... the moderators don't like it... :)

7. swanmusic

swanmusic Guest

Ok protools but which version and where do I get it from? I don't want a limitation from the software side of how many tracks I can record/playback.

Everybody on this forum is great! Thanks for all your help ya'll !

8. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

protools has become the standard for studios but that doesn't mean that you can not get results with other software. I use Digital performer and it is a great daw. however if you are just starting out protools is like the defacto standard and its great to learn...

9. iznogood

iznogood Member

then don't use protools le.... as it is limited to 32 tracks....

10. axel

axel Guest

Pro Tools is kinda standard in pro recording enviroments, that doesn't mean it's the "best" it's certainly a very good and powerfull prog for recording / editing, and usefull to know if you are going to work in different studio facilities...

but if you are into midi and creation / songwriting within your DAW then i would go Logic (the probably best when it comes to midi, IMHO the Don apps for THAT!) or DP they are somehow more versatile and the most common apps after PT in Studios, saying that in Europe Logic is very wide spread in Studios!!!

and PT as good as it is, sucks for midi! (getting slowly better, thou...)

so it depends on your needs and what you want, they have all pro and cons as you see...

11. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

As far as the 32 track limit is concerned do you guys really think his powerbook would really be able to do much more than 32 tracks anyway? I wouldn't think so.

12. swanmusic

swanmusic Guest

Powerbook can do only 32 tracks? Is there anybody who has done more tracks on a powerbook?

13. iznogood

iznogood Member

with an external 7200 hd yes!!!

14. axel

axel Guest

easy more, i have seen 450mhz G4s running more... (the max i have seen with own eyes was 52!) with 7200rpm audio drive, easy... plus a real decent amount of plugs.

a.

15. swanmusic

swanmusic Guest

I was thinking of getting an internal harddrive of 7200rpm. (With new model you can customize it). Is that a good idea? Or should I just get an external harddrive and leave the one Internal one of 5400 rpm as it is? But what can I use it for (Internal harddrive), just program installs?

16. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

The 32track limit is a limitation of the PTLE software, not to be confused with the industry standard PT|HD sytems.

Check out the differences in price and features at the Digidesign site.

I'm using Logic Express, and DP4.1 on a 1GHz Powerbook. I have no problems doing sessions of 32-48 tracks. It can do more tracks I just haven't had a song that uses more than 48 tracks yet.

Logic is more of a composition tool it's designed for writing songs.

Pro Tools is more of a recording tool, engineers love it because it's more like operating a tape deck.

They both have overlapping features, but in my opinion Logic is a more complete package.

8)

17. JamesG

JamesG Guest

i use both logic and protools. Logic comes with some really good plug-ins and rules in midi, i like to record rap and r&b in logic. protools is easy to use and good for editing audio, but (protools le) comes with limited features and you have to use digi's hardware, where as in logic you can use pretty much what you want. logic definetly has better included plug-ins, it also has the abitlity to use nodes to process more plug-ins where you would have to upgrade to a protools TDM system to have the ability to do something similar to that. I started with protools, then i moved to logic because i wanted more.... but the choice is up to you.

18. axel

axel Guest

swanmusic wrote:

in any case a seperate 7200rpm drive for audio data only is a good choice (in case of a powerbook as Firewire!!), and highly recommended. if you can afford it buy the internal as an 7200rpm as well...

also if you just starting out i can highly recommend logic express, it's very good for the compared little money you pay and will give you about everything you need for recording / songwriting.
    i actually do not understand the price / value difference between express and the full pro version, i think express is that good...
    or in other words the pro verssion really gives you super advanced posibilities... (you might not need for years!) express is just fine.

a.

19. johnthemiracle

johnthemiracle Active Member

some input to the logic express vs. pro discussion...i own logic pro and i know that logic express is crippled in many ways, starting with short cuts. not all of them are available in express and once you worked with pro and adjusted the key commands to your needs its really painful to go back to express and find out you can't maintain your workflow.

i can tell you why there's such a big difference in price between express and pro. what express does not have is: space designer (great convolution reverb, first time a software reverb came close to hardware boxes, this is the absolute minimum you need to be able to really mix within logic), es2 (great analog style synth), the clavinet plugin, the b3 plugin, sculpture (physical modeling synth), ultrabeat (i don't use that too often, but some people like it), a cool ring modulator, guitar amp pro (amp simulation, well, not that great, but usable), a nice fm synthesizer and many more plugins are missing in express. it totally makes sense to get pro, whether you're a musician (but especially then!) or an engineer.

as for protools vs logic: i do work in logic but for audio editing i really like the protools interface much better. i can edit much faster with protools. which doesn't mean i won't get the job done with logic of course. but the protools interface is more intuitive when we're talking about cutting audio.

20. swanmusic

swanmusic Guest

If I decide to get Logic pro and if I'm working on editing audio (within the box) and midi, would the sound card that comes built-in with Powerbook work? What is the latency like?