1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

pt2399 alternative

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair Modifications DIY' started by Viceroy is a cat, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Viceroy is a cat

Viceroy is a cat Active Member

Hello all,

So I've built a little angel chorus pedal using the pt2399 chip and i get a white noise that is a little too obvious. I took the chip out and the pedal is dead silent. I goggled and it turns out the pt2399 chips have a reputation for this noise. So... My question, is there an alternative quieter chip i can use?

Thanks

Viceroy is a cat

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

No, not that I know of. It's a sonic price you pay for a low-cost device like that.

One of the techniques for dealing with noise from that type of device is to use it in a parallel path only. This means in your case that your pedal would have a direct signal path that does not go through the device and added to it some of the signal that has been through both the delay chip and a low-pass filter. Having the full-bandwidth signal in the output helps to mask the fact that the upper frequencies of the delayed signal have been filtered out.

3. Viceroy is a cat

Viceroy is a cat Active Member

Thanks Boswell! Lesson learned.