Pulsar Mixing Console?

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by timshel, Sep 19, 2012.

1. timshel

timshel Active Member

Hey people.

I purchased a mixing console from this local music shop in town on a whim (and for the right price). It's 32 channel with 8 buses, 4-band EQ, 8 one-knob compressors, and goes by the name Pulsar. Now, I have heard rumors of Saul Walker having some involvement with the design but cannot place him near it's place of origin. Additionally, Ohio (Akron) has been stated as the place of origin but a plate on the back of my console says 'made in California.' So my question is:

Does anyone have any information about this Pulsar Mixing Console?

I will supply pictures once I get some responses and time!

Thanks,

Daniel

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Seems all paths lead to Saul on this one. Maybe Remy will have a notion as Saul Walker was one of the founders of API. The 550 EQ can be linked directly to him. Recording consoles of the 20th century has one picture of a Pulsar board. It almost looks homemade. Its certainly not an API or anything Westrex/Otari looking.

3. timshel

timshel Active Member

The long road does indeed show wear and tear from Mr. Walker. I have been pulling out the channel strips trying to locate something that could point me towards some evidence. It is a strange feeling when google doesn't provide the answer! Sadly the EQ is a fixed 4-band but they do have some character to them. Minus the components used for the controls and the plastic surface paneling the build is pretty solid.
    Plus 8 buses can go a long way with 32 channels diddlydoo
    Perhaps I'll drag it into the studio and see what this board can do.

Thanks for the response!

4. Davedog

Could be inducters in there. Makes a big difference and you wont even miss the Q adjustment.

5. apstrong

apstrong Active Member

Just a thought, but you could ask Saul Walker directly, his contact info (I think this is him) is on this page: Faculty and Staff - People - Music Technology - NYU Steinhardt

6. timshel

timshel Active Member

I've considered sending him an email. Perhaps he'll respond back with good news! Anyone know if he is prone to answering questions? And I'll check for inductors. It would be fab if I had some of that sweet sweet coil love.

7. timshel

timshel Active Member

IMG_1197.jpg

Hola. After taking out one of the monitor/FX channels I discovered this little gem. Walker Audio Visual Engineering. I do not think this is a Saul Walker but who knows. I've got a name though!

Thoughts?

8. Davedog

Walker Audio Visual Engineering, San Bernadino Cali. Still in business...or so the wikibusiness says. 28 years old. Just about the right age for your gear.

Look at all the nice little yellow cans in there........