1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pulsating Synth Sounds

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Dave Nyberg, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

How come that many synths produce a pulsating sound when you strike a chord and other don't. It's hard to describe but on many hardware and software synths if you strike a triad chord (or any other) you get a pulsating, wobbling sound. There are also many synths which don't have this. I know it has something to do with synced osc's or the lack thereof. Any idea's?

2. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

it could be many different things, do you mean a synth with just one osc turned on ?
    'cause it could be detuning, LFO's, etc...

3. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

No i mean just a synth with one or 2 oscs, that doesn't matter. It's when you play a chord that's when the wobbling starts. Well, it's not as bad as i make it sound but a subtle pulsating noise comes from some and from others it doesn't. It's not LFO or something. I have tested it with various hardware and software synths and i als have some other ppl test it so it's safe to say that most synths do it.

Just load a softsynth or a hardware synth and play C triad with a clean saw wave and you'll probably hear what i mean :)

4. freaky

freaky Guest

A lot of the VA synths have a built in "oscilator drift" feature to simulate unstable analogs. Maybe this is what you're hearing? I guess this really wouldn't be the case with soft synths, but maybe the synth isn't properly tuned? I'll try the clean saw thing tomorow on a couple of my boards and see if I can hear this...

5. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

These softsynths are tuned the way they should. I think it's just a natural thing. I know of the oscillator drift thing but this isn't the case with the synths i try it with. They have user definable osc drift but this was shut off.

I tested it with various softsynths and various hardware synths and they all do it. I even got some guys to also test it on their synths and they confirmed it too.

6. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

it could be the evils of equal temperament, since nothing is perfectly in tune, did you try a major traid using pure tuning ?