1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

quad mic cables=reduced hi freqs?

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by ericzang, Dec 18, 2002.

1. ericzang

ericzang Active Member

At lengths of 25ft or less, does one notice a reduction in high frequencies when using a quad mic cable, compared to a standard high quality one? Any other considerations to keep in mind about a quad cable?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. ericzang

ericzang Active Member

Also, what does EMI noise sound like? Is it hum?

3. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

I hope not!!! I just made 4 brand new quad mic cables (Neutrik gold plated ends/mogami cable). I am anxious to hear the answer to this as well. I have always heard that quad cables have more noise rejection, but have not heard anything about reduction of high freqs...

4. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

I was intrigued by this question, so I posted it on the SOS forum. The following answer is from Hugh Robjohns, one of the Technical Editors from SOS:

5. byacey

byacey Active Member

Capacitance loading, or lack of; is one of the advantages of low impedance balanced line. Due to the low impedance source, capacitance loading has little effect unless you start to run extremely long lines; perhaps over 300 feet you might start to measure a difference, but you probably wouldn't hear the difference yet in a subjective listening test. In many concert venue situations a 500' snake cable for mic lines isn't uncommon, and it doesn't seem to pose any problems in terms of audio quality.
    Bill Y.