1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Cash, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Cash

Cash Guest

Hi folks,

now, I have my equipment (AT3035, EMU1212, Roland MMP-2) since about 2 months and I think I still ain't getting the best quality possible. My vocals sound kinda muddy and they sorta distort abit. I have absolutely no idea why, because I should be able to get some nice ass quality with that setup, shouldnt I? Can anyone help me out?

Btw, what input signal should I choose, +4db or -10db?
  2. Cash

Cash Guest

guess not.... can anyone tell me whats the difference between -10db and +4db?
  3. inLoco

inLoco Active Member

Jul 25, 2004
    + 4db!
  4. Barkingdogstudios

Barkingdogstudios Active Member

Oct 29, 2003
    The smart-ass answer would be ..... uh, about 14 db.

+4 db is "professional", -10 db is "commercial". Basically you want to make sure the output of a source device is the same as the input of the target device. +4 db is also generally "balanced" and the -10 db "unbalanced".
  5. Cash

Cash Guest

thanks for replies ..

though when i choose +4db my recording volume is sooo low, so that i have to turn the gain up all the way - so that it already distorts like $*^t. when recording at -10db my volume is alright.

ive heard when you use a balanced signal with unbalanced cables (and the other way round) it could damage the equipment .. is that true?
  6. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    generally speaking I don't think you can damage things

you will get some distortion with +4 into -10 without a pad

Interfacing equipment ... you will have to learn what it means

do a search and you should find much here about levels
  7. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

sounds like maybe you have the ratio on your compressor to high
  8. Cash

Cash Guest

but the RAW vocals are not as smooth as they should be. When I dont use any EQ, nor compression - my vocals kind of distort. i should be able to get them more smoooth.