1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Quantegy going out of business?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Mad John, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Nov 25, 2001
    Hi ,

My wife heard rummors , after visiting a local music store in our area last night that Quantegy was going out of business.

Firstly is this true?

And why?

I have heard many musician/engineers complain of thier DAT tapes , where many prefered other brands like BASF for example.

The prices that the analog was going for was astounding!

I heard 2 inch was going for $50.00 a pop :D
  2. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2000
    I've had problems with both the dat's and adat tapes. Overpriced cheap crap riding on the good reputation of Ampex analog tape, IMHO. Good riddance to that.

Sorry to see G9, 499 and 456 go tho. Oh well. Guess it's all digi from here on. I'm removing the word "linear" from my volcabulary now.

If it's true, here's a :w: for Quantegy. Buh-bye!
  3. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Nov 25, 2001
    Hey Ang,

Do you think I am safe with the Analog stuff?

What 1/2 inch analog brand tops Quantegy?

I guess I wont stock up on the DATS heard they have lots of problems with drop outs! :mad: :eek:

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

"The present day Composer refuses to die!"
    Edgar Varese - 1921

"Why do you think that is?" - Jon Bon Jovie - 1987
  4. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2000
    There's still BASF/EMTEC 911, and whatever new formula they're trying to push. As long as there's someone to buy it, there will be someone making tape. Ya, I think you're safe for a couple years. At least as long as it takes you to drop analog and go digital. hehe
  5. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Does anyone really have confirmation on this? Are we sure this wasn't Ampex selling the tape/media buisness to Quantegy? Do I really need to start hording? I thought Quantegy was reputed to be a bit variable in quality control, so hording dodgy tape would be a pain.

So, if it's true, does anyone have an opinion on BASF 468 for Otari 1/2" 8 track machines?

6. miketholen

miketholen Guest

I doubt this is true. (then again I've been wrong before...not lately though. I'm on a roll!)

I use their DAT tape and have for years without ONE problem...knock on wood...their CDR's seem fine too.
    I still use 456 (15ips!)
    sometimes 499
    I'm too chicken to go with another brand.
    and I hope to god I'm not forced to...please let this be a dream/nightmare!
  7. simonsez

simonsez Guest

Yes.......rumour or true?
    I'd like to know also......
    Do I need to stock up on 456?
  8. MadMoose

MadMoose Active Member

Apr 22, 2001
    I've used their DAT's, CDR's and Adat tapes for a long time and I've never had a problem. Recently I switched to HHB Adat tapes just because they're cheaper from my supplier. SM911 is bias compatible with 456 and sounds similar but has a thicker mid. It also doesn't smell the same.