1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

question about akg 414's

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by silent_nick, Aug 23, 2004.

1. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

Are the XLII's good mics? I'm interested mainly in vocal applications. Is the TLII $150 better than the XLII?

thanks in advance,
    Nick

2. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

The 414's are a studio standard and have been for years. The TlII is a transformerless design for vocal apps. the XlII I believe is just the name of the new model that replaces the TL II

3. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

the XLII's also $150 cheaper than the TLII. I'm trying to find out the reason, and which one's a better value...

Nick

4. maintiger

The XL II is indeed the replacement for the TL II- they are selling at sweetwater for $899 (see link) also they no longer carry the TLII

Sweetwater

The TL II's you can still get on e-bay for $725, I imagine while their supply lasts - here is the link

E Bay

5. maintiger

E Bay again

6. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

why did they replace the TLII with a cheaper mic (AMS prices are $849 for the XLII, $999 for the TLII). Generally the older mic would be cheaper...

Nick

7. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

The new 414's are an updated version with a new/updated capsule. The main difference in the TLII compared to the ULS is that the TLII is more crisp due to a high end eq bump built in and the lack of the cheap transformer that clouds the ULS version. I almost always prefer the TLII for anything that I would use the 414 on.

8. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

audiogaff...thanks for the help.

have you tried the new 414 (XLII) yet? if so, how does it compare to the TLII?

Nick

9. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

No, not yet. I'm not expecting a big sonic difference. It was just fine the way it was in my book. The remote pattern control is a cool option thou.